Thursday, June 9, 2011

Yummy Granola Bars


I’m sort of a peanut butter fiend. If there is any amount of peanut butter in my apartment I can just sit with that jar and eat it with a spoon. I’m working on my recovery though. I try to use it up in snacks like these (and delicious peanut butter cookies) as soon as I can. I also try to buy peanut butter where the ingredients are only peanuts and salt. This way when I eat half a jar mindlessly in front of the TV one night, I don’t have to feel too guilty. Another love I have is that for portable snacks.  I’m always packing lunches for work and school so any snack that I can throw into a bag quickly is ideal for me. It also helps when the portable snack in question is delicious like this one. The goo that holds it all together is just peanut butter, agave nectar and some applesauce. I don’t know how I feel about agave nectar normally. I don’t like it in my tea and by itself it tastes really strange to me (I know that you aren’t supposed to eat it plain but I just wanted to try it before I used it in a recipe). Mixed with peanut butter and baked though it tastes very good and I can brag that my granola bars have no sugar in them. All in all I would say that they are pretty healthy actually.
 The recipe is incredibly adaptable. If you’re not quite the peanut butter fiend that I am, any other nut butter will surely work fine. Honey would probably work in place of the agave nectar. I used raisins but any trail mix or other add in would be great too. 
I found this recipe on the Vegan Stoner which is the most adorable blog with a bunch of really easy and fast recipes and cute drawings.

Ingredients
½ cup natural peanut butter
½ cup agave nectar
4 spoonfuls unsweetened applesauce
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup fruit and nut trail mix

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized pan, heat up the agave nectar and peanut butter over low or medium heat until it becomes a smooth liquid. Add in the applesauce. Stir in the oats and trail mix so everything is well coated.
2. Transfer the mixture to a lined 13x9 pan and bake for about 25 minutes. Wait to cool completely before cutting into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...