Monday, June 13, 2011

Toad in a Hole

As I continue on in my experiments of cooking for one I remembered a trick that a friend once told me that happens to be one of the best ways of preparing an egg. I think that over the course of this blog I have made it very apparent that I absolutely love eggs. I have been tinkering with going vegan and I know that there are plenty of egg substitutes for a vegan diet. I’ve made scrambled tofu before and I like it. In baking, the egg can be replaced with flax meal or other fake egg products. The one thing that couldn’t be replaced though—as far as I know—is a plain old egg with a just cooked white and a runny yolk. See Huevos Rancheros, Eggs in Purgatory and this very blog post for delicious examples of eggs with no vegan alternatives. Those are what I would truly be missing. I love this recipe (though really with only three ingredients it’s more of a technique…) because it’s so whimsical and simple. It also gave me a much needed excuse to use my extensive collection of cookie cutters. Essentially it’s a piece of toast with an egg fried inside of it. It ends up being so simple and good. I can sense that this technique and I will be friends for a good long time.
 I picked out a medium size cookie cutter to make a hole in my piece of bread. I chose a duck because it’s so cute. Of course using a cup or something to just make a circle in the bread would work equally well.
 In a well oiled pan, place the holey bread and then fill that hole with the egg. At this point you can just cook to your liking. Also please try to ignore my messy stove top. Clearly I do.

Unfortunately my egg didn’t really conform to the duck shape. It sort of made an amorphous blob in my toast but that’s ok. It still tasted fine.I think it would be really difficult to make a duck shaped egg. 
And I had this tiny toast cut out of a duck to dip in my egg yolk

Ingredients
1 slice of bread
1 egg
1 tsp or so oil or butter

1. 1. Take a cookie cutter or glass to make a cut out in the center of the slice of bread. 

2.  2. Heat oil or butter in a nonstick skillet over medium or medium low heat. When it is hot add the piece of bread. Cook on this side until lightly toasted and then flip. 

3.  3.  Crack the egg and carefully drop in the hole in the bread. Cook the egg how you want at this point. I like to wait until the egg is mostly cooked and then flip it and then let it finish up quickly on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...