Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mini Rhubarb Crumble

I made a strawberry rhubarb pie a while ago with a friend to watch Pushing Daisies which I have discovered is a completely adorable show and it always makes me want pie. It was a good night but I was left with one awkward stalk of rhubarb. I thought I would eventually have to throw out this lone stalk of rhubarb, but then I got creative. I decided to make a rhubarb crisp for one in a little ramekin. Now I’m feeling slightly like a genius and that this fruit crisp for one may become a trend in my kitchen. I have this problem with dessert in that I like making it. So when I’m craving a cookie (a frequent occurrence), I make the recipe for four dozen or so cookies and then even though I wanted a cookie, I end up with dozens. I am not strong enough to have only one at this point. With this tiny fruit crisp though, I crave dessert, I make it, then I eat the one small portion it makes and I’m done. It’s a pretty pathetic side note but I think I deserve a little credit for including fruit in my dessert choice too. O and that crunchy crust on top? It has some whole wheat flour in it too… also a lot of butter, but still I think this route is way better than my normal cookie binge.

 I used an apple slice or two to supplement the rhubarb. I was sort of hesitant because I’m accustomed to the combination of strawberry and rhubarb but the rhubarb-apple combination is new and frightening. It turned out to be fine. This recipe works with any fruit available basically. Just get enough of it to fill a ramekin.
 Just try to say no to the adorableness. It won't happen. Now here's the recipe and remember that it is very adaptable to any fruit.

Ingredients
Enough fruit chopped in half inch pieces to fill a small ramekin (about half a cup)
1 tsp juice (I used pineapple because it was what I had on hand, any juice will do)
Pinch of sugar*
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tbsp quick cooking oats
1 tbsp brown sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground ginger

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Add the chopped fruit, juice, and any additional sugar if using to a ramekin and mix up well. 

2. In a small bowl melt the butter in the microwave. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the mixture is crumbly. Place on top of the fruit in the ramekin. Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is crisp and lightly browned.

*I added some sugar to my fruit mixture because I was using rhubarb but with most other fruits this probably isn’t necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...