Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tahini Carrot Salad

 I decided that there must be life for tahini outside of hummus otherwise I would have a large jar of tahini sitting in my fridge used only once a month or so for the rest of my life. I found this recipe that along with tahini included some of my other favorites like maple syrup and curry powder. It also has a bit of lemon juice in it which I think creates some sort of chemical reaction with the tahini and it turns it into a rock. There was no more stirring after this point. At this point I had to shake it up with the rest of the ingredients. Hopefully it works out a bit better for anyone else attempting this recipe. Luckily, it didn't affect the taste at all. This makes a really nice salad or you can add tofu and just make it a meal like me.

 
 I used my handy box grater for the carrots which makes them a nice size and I get to avoid a lot of unnecessary chopping.
 I decided to add some baked tofu to the carrot salad. It was a good decision indeed. There are also some pepitas thrown in there for a lovely crunchy addition. The original recipe suggests raisins too which I think would be great but I didn't have them on hand. How sad.

Speaking of the original recipe, I found it here

Ingredients
10 ounces carrots grated or julienned
1/4 cup pepitas
1 cup raisins (optional)
1/3 cup tahini
1-2 Tbsp curry powder
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, curry, lemon juice, maple syrup and salt and pepper to make a dressing.

2. In a larger mixing bowl combine the carrots, pepitas and raisins if using. Pour the tahini dressing over the salad and then toss until everything is evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for an hour before serving to marinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...