Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hummus

 I have realized recently that hummus is an amazing snack. It's so useful for everything and incredibly easy to make. So here is my second recipe I've put up recently involving a bunch of ingredients thrown into a food processor and whirred away to produce an incredible versatile condiment. Eerie similarity of my recent cooking habits aside, I love me some hummus.There is something so easy and amazing about all dips and hummus really takes the cake here. You can dip veggies (though I do this rarely), pita chips, and pretzels (I do this frequently) into it but it can also be used as a spread like on sandwiches or as a sauce for pasta or pizza. It's phenomenal. Can't say enough about hummus.

I would also like to use this opportunity to make an advertisement for tahini. I know a lot of people that don't like it much in their hummus and I will admit that it is kind of weird. I put it in the fridge and it separates into thick on the bottom and oily on top. It's impossible for me to stir without getting it everywhere and all over the container. It's relatively expensive and something that you can't use in much else unless you get creative (though I have proof that I've used it before and I like to mix it with honey then eat it just like peanut butter). Now that I have bashed tahini, I will say that I think it makes hummus extra special and creamy. I definitely think it's worth all of its flaws.

Now for the recipe.

Ingredients: 
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed 
1 clove garlic 
1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving 
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice 
2 tbsp tahini (optional) 
1 tsp cumin 
pinch of salt
top with paprika (optional)


1. Place chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini and cumin in the bowl of a food processor then blend until creamy. Add a tablespoon or two of water if necessary to get it to the desired consistency. Serve with additional olive oil and paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...