Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Caramel Corn

I got a fancy new hot air popper for my birthday and to christen it I decided to make some caramel corn. Not just any caramel corn though, I wanted the caramel corn of my childhood. So as per usual, I went begging to the matriarch of my family for the recipe. So I went a-snooping through her recipe box until I found it and I was on my way to snack city.

I wish that I could say that this is the perfect movie snack but to do so would be limiting it. This became my walking-through-the-kitchen snack and my driving-to-Colorado-Springs snack and my sitting-around-at-work snack.It's sweet and crunchy, just barely salty and overall pretty perfect. I added pepitas because I had them on hand but really anything that would taste good covered in caramel will work too.
Here is a glamour shot of the newest appliance in my kitchen. I think it's pretty excellent. 
So I hope that I mentioned earlier that this caramel corn is so delicious because it is so buttery and sugary. Totally worth it though. I don't know that there is a way to make caramel healthy.... and I don't want to know.
This recipe is particularly nice because there is no candy thermometer necessary. It gets to this nice brown color and then you know it's good.
 This is when it gets really messy. Abandon all hopes of gently stirring the caramel to coat the popcorn because it's very thick and very messy. Spread the popcorn on a cookie sheet, pop it in the oven and let it bake until it gets even more excellent.

Ingredients

15 cups popped popcorn and any other treats to be covered with caramel
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. In a saucepan, mix together the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt and then heat over medium heat. Continue heating, stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes bubbly around the edges. Cook for five more minutes then remove from heat and stir in baking soda until foamy.

2. Put the popped popcorn in a large bowl and pour caramel sauce over it. Mix well until coated. Divide the popcorn on two ungreased cookie sheets and then bake for an hour.

Find this on Sweets for a Saturday. yum!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, homemade caramel corn. What a treat! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your caramel corn up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-14_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for coming by and linking up your sweet caramel corn. Feel free to join in the party again anytime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...