Saturday, February 5, 2011

Red Pepper and White Bean Dip

I was looking for a good dip recipe just for fun. I don't know what came over me but I really wanted dip and celery sticks and pita wedges. Who knows. Sometimes I have incredibly vague cravings I guess. I was looking through some recipes and it seems like every dip out there has a ton of mayonnaise in it. Ok, I can get over that but then on top of the mayonnaise there is sour cream and then generally some form of melty cheese.

I know, I know, it sounds delicious. I have encountered a problem though. If I was in a restaurant and was served a dip that had these abominably unhealthy ingredients in them, I would never know and thus could eat away without care. When I make it myself, I am fully conscious of all of the ingredients and simply can't bring myself to do that to myself. It's a complicated psychological battle.

I found this dip and it is my savior. It is very similar to a hummus but a bit creamier and clearly much more colorful (doesn't it match my bowl perfectly?).

 Did I mention that the dip was extremely easy too? Just stick all of the ingredients in the blender or the food processor and give it a whirl. I used neufchatel cheese instead of cream cheese though after researching, they seem to be basically the same except cream cheese has more fat because neufchatel is more watery. Either works here.
I used this as dip initially but the recipe makes quite a lot and I found that this was also good any place that you may also use hummus. I put it in burritos and sandwiches and it was still great.
I got the recipe from smitten kitchen

Ingredients
1 15 ounce can of white cannelini beans, drained
about 1 cup roasted red peppers, drained
1 clove garlic
3 oz neufchatel or cream cheese softened
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Give all of the ingredients a whirl in your blender or food processor. Serve with wedges of pita and vegetables.

I linked this up to Friday Potluck, Fun with Food Friday and Fresh, Clean and Pure Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...