Sunday, February 27, 2011

Portobello Fries

I don't think it has been any secret that I am wholeheartedly obsessed with mushrooms. I think that becoming a vegetarian has made my relationship with mushrooms so much stronger and being a vegetarian without meaty mushrooms on my side would be brutal. I would say that I rarely eat them as a snack though. When I think mushrooms, I don't think quick and easy. My love for them also frequently prevents me from seeing them as a side dish. This recipe has opened my eyes. People may notice that it is eerily similar to the baked zucchini fries post I made not too long ago and that is because they are really really similar. I guess I'm getting boring but I will not rest until I have sliced, breaded, and baked every vegetable (and fungus?) out there. It's such an easy, effective, and simply awesome snack to have with some marinara sauce.

I discovered a very awesome secret. I'm used to buying Portobello mushroom caps in prepackaged sets of two. This time I went for the bulk bin and got four. It ended up being less expensive than two wrapped in a package. WIN!
The mushroom caps get a quick egg wash which makes the bread crumbs stick to them.

This is my breading station and most of the soldiers lined up on the baking sheet. They look pretty plain now but once they get into the oven they get nice and crispy and browned.

Ingredients
2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix together the spices and bread crumbs. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.

2. Take a slice of mushroom and dip it into the egg then coat it with breadcrumbs and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the mushroom slices. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the fries are golden brown, flipping once halfway through.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Trina, these look fantastic. I love mushrooms too, and often they are a staple of my meatless dishes. i love the idea of doing fries -- great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If you love mushrooms I think you will definitely appreciate these.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...