Sunday, February 20, 2011

Drunken Monkey Bread

I had monkey bread for the first time on Thanksgiving last year. It was a very exciting experience for me that opened up a whole new world of handheld sweet breakfast breads. Since Thanksgiving I have been dreaming of making my own and then I found this recipe that combines the monkey bread I had been craving and some whiskey. Finally.

 Maybe I should explain though because monkey bread sounds pretty weird. Fun, yes, but also weird. The premise is that balls of dough are so thoroughly coated in a buttery, sugary syrup that they will stick together while baking but be easily pulled apart. It's really easy and fun (and preferable I would say) to eat with your hands here. Similar to a monkey.



 I decided to just use some store bought biscuits. I don't know how I feel about that. They still tasted good of course, I would just have to bet that homemade biscuits would taste better.
 The raisins in this bread are delightfully soaked in whiskey and hydrated. It's great. I may have even added a few more raisins than necessary. 
yes! All of the little balls are rolled around in the goo so they are so buttery that they don't really stick to one another when they bake and you don't even need to grease the pan they go in. I think that is always a good sign in a recipe: when there is enough butter to not even need to grease the pan.

I got this recipe from Good Housekeeping which says that this serves 8 people. I think the four of us who enjoyed this devoured it entirely. It was the only thing we had for breakfast though and we were moving my stuff to a new apartment.

Ingredients
1 16 or 16.3 ounce tube of refrigerated biscuit dough
1/4 cup of raisins
3 Tbsp whiskey
3 Tbsp water
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a microwaveable bowl, mix together the whiskey, water, and raisins. Microwave on high for 2 minutes then set aside. Cut the individual biscuits into quarters and roll them into balls (32 balls total).


2. In a large skillet, cook the raisin mixture, brown sugar and butter together on medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add the balls of dough. Stir to coat.

3. Transfer to an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Let cool five minutes before inverting onto a plate.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am making this tomorrow. Your monkey bread looks awesome. Now I am thinking I will do a dough recipe in my bread maker and then continue the dough into your monkey bread. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O if you make the dough yourself I'm sure it will be even better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...