Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tofu Bacon Sandwiches

I can already read the minds of everyone reading the title for this post. Tofu bacon? Blech! I will not make any claims that this tofu is any better than the fatty pig parts everyone seems to adore so much but I will make a stand for this delicious substitute: for those among us who have not tasted bacon in years, this is by far the best substitute available. On top of that, I call this bacon because the recipe called it bacon but I would be happy with calling them salty and amazing baked tofu slabs for sandwiches. I know that there is fake meat because people want meat, but as someone who has no real craving for meat, I'm happy with calling it as it is, be it tofu or seitan or what have you.

All semantics aside though, this was a very satisfying sandwich that felt slightly healthy. I'm in love actually.


All twelve slabs of tofu do not fit into an 8x8 dish (bummer) so I had to find this secondary dish to marinade the rest in. It's a really simple marinade to make but it is highly potent. I was worried that I didn't have enough marinade but the tofu works just like a sponge. A quick 15 minute bath in the marinade will suffice.
 I guess that at this point they look more like fish sticks than slabs of bacon and I'm OK with that. They get crunchy on the outside but still have that patent gelatinous tofu center.
A BLT would be lovely with these but I decided on cucumber instead of tomatoes. I got the recipe on the Whole Foods website which has many surprisingly good recipes on it.

Ingredients (makes 4 sandwiches)
1 14oz package extra firm tofu, drained
2 Tbsp liquid aminos
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast*
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp water
mayonnaise
sliced cucumber
romaine lettuce
8 slices of bread

1. After draining the tofu, cut it into 12 slices. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a wide, shallow dish whisk together the liquid amino, paprika, nutritional yeast and water. Arrange the tofu in the dish, flip to coat with marinade and then let sit for about 15 minutes.

2. Place the tofu on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes until firm and lightly browned, flipping halfway through. To assemble the sandwich, spread mayonnaise on one slice of toasted bread, put on cucumber slices, then lettuce and then three slabs of tofu. Top with another piece of bread.

*nutritional yeast is kind of weird, I will admit but whatever it is, it tasted good. I found it in the bulk bins at whole foods.

I linked this up to Fun with Food Friday, Foodie Fridays, Boost my Blog Friday, Friday Potluck, and Fresh, Clean and Pure Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...