Sunday, January 30, 2011

Huevos Rancheros

My love affair with the egg is continuing on strong but this time in a different language. Te amo los huevos. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that mean "I love eggs" in Spanish. I was actually recently thinking that the name of my blog should have been Trina of the Eggs because there are so many more egg recipes than beans.

I must say that these were absolutely delicious and so easy. Essentially it is a fried egg on a tortilla with some cheese and I have no problem with that. I was making only one at a time as my roommate but they looked so good that we couldn't wait until there was one for each of us and each took a fork and shared. We stayed in the kitchen standing up, cooking and eating until we were so full of huevos we fell down. Almost.
 The cheese melts under the cooking egg and it is so amazing and gooey. Top this with a simple fresh salsa of tomatoes, jalapeno, lime, and plenty of cilantro (if you, like me, are obsessed with cilantro). I guess the traditional salsa would have some onion so add some if that's your thing. It's not mine.

I found the recipe here on Smitten Kitchen.

Ingredients
4 6 inch corn tortillas
4 eggs
2 oz shredded cheddar or pepperjack cheese
salt and pepper
homemade salsa*

1. Heat up a smidgen of oil in a skillet on medium heat. Throw in the tortilla and heat it up until it is slightly browned. Flip so the other side gets some browning action and then top with about half an ounce of shredded cheese.

2. When the cheese is slightly melted, crack an egg on top of the cheese and tortilla. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top of the egg and then allow it to cook like this until the white is partially set-- the edges and part of the egg on the tortilla.

3. Now the tricky part, flip the tortilla over and allow the egg to cook for another few minutes. Flip the egg and tortilla onto a plate, top with some delicious salsa and perhaps some hot sauce and devour before you even have time to sit down.

* this for me was 1 jalapeno seeded and diced, two or three diced roma tomatoes, a handful of finely chopped cilantro, about a teaspoon of lime juice and salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...