Saturday, January 1, 2011

Eggy Muffins and Corny Beans

My obsession with egg dishes has been made obvious quite a few times on this blog but this dish had something that other egg dishes lack: the adorable factor. I saw these in a magazine featuring some dishes from Jessica Seinfeld's new cookbook and I learned that she is pretty insane. These initially called for pureed cauliflower and nearly every other recipe called for some other vegetable puree. Probably healthy but certainly not practical. Everything was whole grain and vegetable purees and chocolate is only for the weekends. This was NOT how I imagined Jerry Seinfeld lived his life. It was shocking to say the least. These little eggy muffins looked so adorable though that I was more than willing to overlook the crazy that came with them and made a few adjustments to make them more approachable but still healthy in my mind (but I am able to convince myself that everything I really want to eat is healthy so you be the judge). I also made a bean side dish to take these eggs south of the border so to speak. I really ended up loving them because they were so cute but they were also delicious.


The first trick is to manipulate the tortillas into muffin cups. I was unable to find any six inch whole wheat tortillas so I had to rip some of the edges off as well. I hope this picture helps to illustrate that you make two pleats in the tortilla to get it to fit.
Fill each of these with an equal portion of the egg mixture and then top with some delicious cheddar cheese that will of course melt and become even more delicious.
This is the very simple black bean side dish that I made to accompany these. I could probably eat black beans and corn straight out of the can but this was nice too.It was just some corn, beans, jalapeno peppers, tomato and some fun spices.
The treat that's fun to eat! This is the only version of the recipe I found online. You can see where I started... It even had meat initially which I replaced with some chopped spinach. I replaced the cauliflower puree with greek yogurt.

Eggy Muffins Ingredients
4 6 inch whole wheat tortillas
1 egg and 3 egg whites beaten together
1/4 cup greek yogurt
handful of chopped spinach (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated Cheddar cheese
chopped scallions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 4 muffin cups. It helps to throw the tortillas in the oven for a few seconds before starting to manipulate them. Take one tortilla and make two pleats across from each other. Gently flatten the bottom on the counter and then place in the greased muffin tin. Repeat with the other three tortillas.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, egg whites, Greek yogurt, spinach, and salt and pepper. Divide this mixture evenly among the muffin tortilla cup things. Top with some grated cheddar cheese. Bake until the egg is cooked through and the cheese on top is melted and lightly brown. The recipe says this should take 15-20 minutes but mine was more like 20-25 minutes. Use a toothpick to check whether the egg is cooked through

I shared these on Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays, My Meatless Mondays, Just Another Meatless Monday, and Mouthwatering Mondays

3 comments:

  1. OMG these ARE adorable! I've been cravings eggs too, not sure why, but I agree - egg dishes normally do NOT look as cute as this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are cute. I love minis or cute food. I should start a blog called Cute Food or someone should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so prepared to start a cute food website... the only problem would be that the meals aren't very filling! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...