Monday, January 10, 2011

Curry Tofu Salad

 I was looking across the posts of my blog when I noticed a trend uncommon to many vegetarian blogs-- a distinct lack of tofu. Or any vegetarian protein for that matter unless you count mushrooms and black beans (which I kind of do since they are the majority of my diet, but it is still inexcusable). I really like to get tofu and other proteins when I go out to eat but I guess I have had little desire to cook with them. I even have a cookbook just for tofu which was a goodwill find and isn't all that great because many of the recipes combine tofu with chicken or something like that. No thank you. Ultimately though, it was time and I had an idea of what I wanted to make. I wanted to recreate the curried tuna or chicken salad that was common in tea sandwiches or just eating plain but completely vegetarian. I got to cooking.



 I saw some recipes that advocated for leaving the tofu raw which just seemed strange to me so I did a little research. It is generally A-OK for adults to eat raw tofu but they run the risk of eating some bacteria and likely gas later. I decided to pan fry mine for a few minutes.
 I don't know that I could ever use a cup of mayonnaise in anything so in my sauce I used half mayonnaise and half greek yogurt.
I threw in some shredded carrots, though any assortment of crunchy vegetables would do the trick. For the traditionalists out there I would suggest some chopped celery and onion. The vegetables do add some much needed texture to the gelatinous tofu.

Ingredients
1 Package extra firm tofu in water, drained and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tsp olive oil
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat up the olive oil in a medium skillet to medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the tofu and stir around for about five minutes or more depending on the brown you want to achieve. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until the tofu is at room temperature.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, curry, turmeric, lemon and salt and pepper. Add to the bowl of room temperature tofu, stir in carrots and then let rest in the fridge for an hour so flavors have a chance to come out.

I linked these up to Foodie Friday and Food on Fridays

6 comments:

  1. It seems that recently more and more people are switching to a meatless diet. Becoming a vegetarian can have several benefits, ranging from weight loss to disease prevention.However, switching to a vegetarian lifestyle can be a difficult adjustment at first. A few cooking tips for vegetarians can help any vegan newcomer get started on the right footing. Learn more:

    cooking tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious. Love the Greek yogurt/mayo combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sound healthy! It's a nice way to start 2011! :)

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good with the curry--and I'm not familiar with tofu, so this will be a fun way to experiment. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I feel compelled to qualify: I know what tofu is, I've made a couple of things with tofu in that past, but I'm not familiar with it in the sense of cooking with it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much!

    I'm not too familiar with tofu either but all of the recipes I have seen so far seem pretty easy. Draining tofu is my only problem really.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...