Friday, January 28, 2011

Cinnamon Swirly Bread

It sure has been a long time since I made a quick bread but I am very glad that I saved myself for this one. To be more precise, it has been a long time since I have made anything let alone added it to this site. I have just started school and I'm taking six classes and on top of that I'm moving on February 1st. As a natural consequence of these two combining my cooking has been pushed aside. Enough about me though and on to this great bread. I would like to profess my love for the entire population of quick breads and their sweet and dense yeast-free greatness. This one was just a basic bread but with swirls of cinnamon running through it. I think it was actually supposed to be more like two lines of the cinnamon sugar but mine had a mind of its own and decided to go where ever it pleased. I was ok with that. It's sweet, quick and easy. And O ya, it has a full two tablespoons of cinnamon in it so this recipe is not for the faint-hearted. Now that I've given you fair warning...

 The bowl on the right contains a pretty basic and easy bread dough but the bowl on the left is the secret weapon here. That is the cinnamon sugar that will run rampant in that bread dough and make it something really special.
 This is an action shot because you have to make layers of the dough and the sugar. I am absolutely terrible at dividing the dough by sight but luckily my wonky layers didn't affect the taste.
 This is what I mean by wonky layers-- note how the top layer barely has any batter because I had already used most of it up in the previous two. Still doesn't affect taste so it's all right.
 There was a lot of extra cinnamon sugar on the top but I think this is simply another effect of my poor judgment in dividing ingredients. If you are the same as me though, it would definitely be possible to cut down on the cinnamon mixture.

Also, as a note, don't let the fractions intimidate you. The recipe is very simple and the fractions are really just rough estimates. 

I got this recipe from Closet Cooking, as always. I think I need to expand my horizons.

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar
2 heaping Tbsp cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5 loaf pan. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

2. In the bowl of  a mixer, cream the butter and white sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla extract. Now here is the tricky part. Mix in about a third of the flour mixture, then mix in half of the buttermilk, another third of the flour, then the rest of the buttermilk, and finally the last third of the flour.

3. Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar in a small bowl (or potentially the one that once contained flour).

4. Pour one third (again with the fractions, sorry) of the batter into the bottom of the prepared loaf pan. Top with one third of the cinnamon mixture. One third of the batter again, another third of the cinnamon mixture, top with the rest of the batter and then top that with the rest of the cinnamon mixture. Whew. Put it into the preheated oven and bake for about an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...