Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Banana Pancakes

I really love to bake with bananas but I also really love to eat bananas so it is a difficult struggle to get them ripe enough. The reason I enjoy using them in baking recipes is that you need to add only a minuscule amount of sugar (if any) to achieve the desired sweetness. I'm always a fan of tricking my taste buds and I think these pancakes do the trick. They are actually relatively healthy but they still taste great.

One downside to making banana pancakes? That damn Jack Johnson song that one simply cannot escape. So while I'm sure that everyone is humming it now. I will not mention it again for the duration of this post. It is not fair that such an innocent food is now forever doomed to be associated with a song. I will end by saying that these pancakes are not a gimmick, they are actually delicious in their own right.

I used applesauce instead of vegetable oil to make these even more healthy. Probably tastier too because I would always rather eat a spoonful applesauce than a spoonful of oil.
These are some of my first that I made which is why they are so light. I ended up cooking them a lot more than I needed to later on because the recipe warned me about runny centers. This is why I need to stop listening to recipes.

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 Tbsp applesauce
1 cup milk
(chocolate chips would be excellent in these)

1. In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients-- flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl mix together the egg, banana, applesauce and milk. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture, the resulting batter will be slightly lumpy.

2. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan or griddle to medium high heat. Add pancake batter by the 1/4 cup full. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...