Saturday, January 15, 2011

Baked Zucchini Fries

I found the perfect snack ever and am so happy to share it with the world. It's one of those many snacks that I love so much because I can tell myself that it is healthy without it being raw celery sticks. Not that I have anything against raw celery sticks... It's just that I would prefer these baked, breaded zucchini sticks. I don't think I'm alone. They were very simple to make though perhaps a bit time consuming. To make really great fries it is kind of necessary to dip them in the egg white and bread crumbs individually. They bake and get this delicious crunchy coating on the outside so it could probably be anything inside and it would still taste amazing. I served these with ketchup mixed with sriracha. It's my favorite dipping "sauce" for fries.

The original recipe called for whole wheat bread crumbs which would be great but the cheapest bread crumbs were the ones that I got. They were just some panko but it made me kind of sad that the healthiest options are consistently the most expensive. yet people believe that with nutritional education alone we can solve obesity problems. It's just a weird and depressing situation the world is in.

On a lighter subject, this here is my breading station that I set up. Start by grabbing a zucchini spear, dunk it in some frothy egg whites, then roll it around in the bread crumbs.
 Set them all up on the baking sheet and bake until they are golden brown. I used this recipe on two peas and their pod but I changed up the spices in the bread crumbs just a bit. And of course I used the cheap-o bread crumbs.

Ingredients
3 medium zucchinis cut into thin spears
2 egg whites
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and either spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. In another bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, cheese, and spices.

2. Take spears of zucchini and individually dip them in the egg whites, roll them in the breadcrumbs, then set them on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat this with the rest of the fries. Bake in the oven for about twenty minutes, flipping them over once halfway through.

1 comment:

  1. I'm your newest follower #24! Your recipes look so yummy.
    Visiting from the blog hop. So nice to meet you. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.
    Nancy
    http://discoverdirectselling.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...