Thursday, January 13, 2011

Almond Butter Granola Bars

I'm a big fan of granola lately but not the sugary corny stuff from the store but making my own. I saw this recipe for almond butter granola bars I knew that I would fall in love because I also like to make my own almond butter. I felt like this seemed really healthy too and like a great, energizing snack. It uses mashed bananas and some almond butter instead of a bunch of sugar and syrup. There are also whole almonds, pepitas, and some dried raisins and sour cherries. I must make note of the sour cherries because they were so amazing. I found them in the bulk bins at whole foods and they were kind of expensive so I only got a little bit more than I needed but the extra cherries ended up being my breakfast. Delicious! This is also my first experience with pepitas and they were really good in these bars.

I heated up the mashed banana and almond butter, then poured in the oats and various other accoutrements, stir in, and then press flat into bars. The incredibly observant may have noticed in my last few posts that I have new pans! hooray! I guess my parents like my blog or something.

I got the recipe here and followed it pretty much exactly but I changed the amounts of fruit and nuts a bit. These amounts are rough estimates. 

Ingredients
1/2 cup almond butter
2 mashed bananas
1/2 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried sour cherries
1/4 cup raw pepitas
1 cup rolled oats

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, heat up the mashed bananas and almond butter over low heat, just to get them to an ooey consistency and are well combined. Set aside.

2. In a food processor, pulse together the whole almonds, raisins, and cherries until they are coarsely chopped. Add to the banana/almond butter mixture and then add the oats and pepitas as well. Stir in until the mixture is all coated in "sauce".

3. Transfer the granola to the prepared pan, press down so it is flat and as even as possible. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove and wait for the granola to cool completely. When it is cool, cut into bars and store in an airtight container.

NOTE: any dried fruit can be used as long as the total is 3/4 cups. Apricots would be great I think. Also any sort of seed can be used in place of the pepitas like sunflower seeds.

I linked these up to Boost my Blog Friday and Friday Potluck

3 comments:

  1. They look yummy

    I'm following you from the blog hop and I'd love for you to stop by my blog and follow me if you like it.

    Thanks very much

    Cass

    http://www.frugalfamily.co.uk/2011/01/welcome-to-my-house.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmm....2 of my favorite things! I can't wait to try these out, Trine!

    ps-I'm planning a trip to Denver soon...I'm soo excited:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. O Denver is the best, you will have a blast. Denver becomes even better when you have granola bars for the trip =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...