Sunday, December 19, 2010

Spritz!

Just one more cookie to add to the baking extravaganza... the bake-stravaganza if you will. I decided to add these to my list personally because I just got myself a cookie press and there are really no other occasions throughout the year to use one. It was a garage sale find of my mom and it only cost two dollars. My mom has a cookie press too and they make gorgeous cookies in fun patterns, my favorite this year was the wreath shape. The downside is that these things are frequently a pain to use. It took me a few batches to fully figure out my press but once I did it wasn't so bad. Unfortunately, as I said before, these things only come out once a year so it is likely I will have to go through this same song and dance next Christmas. The thing even came with instructions but they are just generally pretty unreliable. It is also supposed to function as an icing press. If anyone has one of these I would be curious to know about that. Leave me a comment and tell me your ways.


O. I bet you want to know about the cookies. These things are delicious and have so few ingredients, it's great. Of course the majority of the recipe is butter but everyone will give up butter come January right? They are really just simply delicious shortbread cookies. On top of that great buttery flavor, they just look like Christmas. I add food coloring to mine to make them red and green. They were my only colorful treat this year.

That soft focus thing in the background that looks like a caulking gun is the cookie press. It is shiny and silver so I get the feeling that it was never used before.
I divided the dough in half and died one green and the other red. I used about 10 drops of food coloring to get to my desired tonalities. Also, the dough is so buttery and malleable that the dye mixes in really well and leaves nothing in the bowl so after doing green, just switch to the plain dough and do red. 

I got this recipe from my mom. Perhaps one day she will tell me where she got it and then I can inform everyone else.

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg    
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
Food coloring (optional)
Sprinkles, candy, etc... (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder until well combined. In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and extracts and beat well. Add the dry mixture in small portions, beating well after each addition.

2. Add food coloring to the dough (optional). Do not refrigerate the dough or it will not go into the press. Follow cookie press instructions to make cookies into shapes. Bake for 7-8 minutes until done-- the cookies should be crisp but not brown. Remove from the cookie sheet and cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...