Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Spinach Pesto Pasta

I'm not complaining but I have been eating so much spinach lately in any form available to me. I should be glad that it's spinach I'm addicted to and not twizzlers though so there is a silver lining. Another silver lining is this great pesto that I found on the world wide web. I would very much so like to make my own traditional pesto and I'm certain that it would be delicious but there are a lot of overhead costs involved. Pine nuts aren't cheap, good Parmesan isn't too cheap and basil at that quantity is pretty hard to come by. This pesto uses much more accessible ingredients that won't break the bank and is still delicious. I was pretty upset that I used this all in pasta because I was really tempted to try it in other settings. A grilled cheese perhaps? Instead of pizza sauce perhaps? The possibilities for any sort of pesto are astounding. I love the stuff.


 My food processor made quick work of the mixture. I love how easy it is to just toss everything to a bowl with spinning blades and suddenly your work is done for you.
I also had a Portobello mushroom cap on hand and thought that it would go great with my pasta. I just love to mix spinach and mushrooms together, I think it is the ultimate combination. On top of that, the original recipe includes some shrimp so I felt obligated to put in a meaty substitute.






I got this great recipe on Closet Cooking as well but I made it even more simple. Wow, it's beginning to seem like I'm obsessed. Only slightly I suppose.

Pesto Ingredients (makes one cup)
1 cup spinach leaves
2 Tbsp toasted walnuts
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup crumbled feta
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon worth of juice and zest
salt and pepper to taste
a handful of fresh herbs you have on hand (optional)

1. Throw everything in the food processor and let those chopping blades do the rest of the work.

Pasta Ingredients
1 pound of pasta (I used some delicious curly egg noodles)
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 portobello mushroom cap sliced
1 clove of garlic minced
1 recipe spinach pesto
Toasted walnuts and feta to garnish

1. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box until al dente. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic clove and cook for about a minute. Throw in the slices of mushroom and let them cook out too. If necessary, add a bit of the pasta water to the pan for them to cook in. It should take about 5 minutes.

2. Drain the pasta and reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Toss the pasta with the reserved water, pesto, and cooked mushrooms. Serve with walnuts and feta on top.

Find this on Welcome Wednesday, Friday Potluck, Fight Back Fridays, Foodie Friday, Vegetarian Foodie Friday, and Boost my Blog Friday

5 comments:

  1. This looks great, Trina! I found a great spinach artichoke pesto the other day -- and have been using it as dip. I can't wait to try making my own spinach pestos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to be a very big fan of spinach and pasta combinations. Good lookin' recipe :). Have a great day! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo yummy! Now I'm hungry:P ha ha I am now following you thanks to Welcome Wednesday and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog:)
    And don't forget to check our Show Yo' Flow Campaign today to see the interview we have in Jocelyn and the amazing surprises she has for everybody:) See you there! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous recipe. I have one on my blog for a broccoli pesto that I serve with pasta. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy! Pesto pastas are one of our favorites here. And I love pesto made with spinach too. Like like like!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...