Thursday, December 23, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

I will leave you with one last holiday recipe to hopefully be included in your own Christmas festivities and the conclusion of the epic saga: me vs. the pumpkin. I destroyed a pumpkin many months ago and told the 4 people or so who read my blog (2 of them are my parents) that I was making a pie completely from scratch. I made some pumpkin puree and froze it until I would need it. The whole thing ended up being very satisfying and a great accomplishment. Maybe it was just the pride I was tasting but I preferred this pie to all of the other pumpkin pies in my past.

I don't know about the rest of the world but my Christmas family feast is uncannily similar to my Thanksgiving feast. There is still cranberry sauce and my weird tofurky log thing and of course mashed potatoes (which I wish would be less of a feast-y food and more of an everyday food). We always seem to have pumpkin pie still too. I don't know if this is normal but if it is than here is a lovely

I found the recipe here. Of course it is only one of thousands of pumpkin pie recipes on the Martha Stewart website. How I came across this one and inevitably chose it is a mystery but I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed it.

Ingredients
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
3 large eggs plus 1 egg for glaze
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1 tbsp heavy cream

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin puree, and 3 eggs. Beat well. Add evaporated milk, and combine. Set aside.
2. Roll out the pie dough to a twelve inch circle and transfer to a 9 inch pie pan. Pinch the edges to form a border if there is any overhang. In a small bowl, beat together the heavy cream and then brush this glaze on the pie crust.
3. Fill the pie crust with the pumpkin mixture and then bake 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...