Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Leftover Eggnog Muffins

The whirlwind that is Christmas has passed by and has left in its wake an abundance of leftovers. Most notoriously is that thick gooey beverage eggnog that is consumed for only one month of the year and then when the month passes is left in the fridge until it spoils. After December 25th it is nearly impossible to get any one to consume eggnog. I am an exception because the stuff is like crack for me... especially the soy nog which I picked up this year. So tasty. But I accept the rest of the worlds seasonal approach to this drink. So to alleviate the pain of food spoilage once everyone has moved on to the post-Christmas world, I present you with eggnog muffins. The dough uses up a cup of eggnog so the muffins have a slight hint of the flavor within them and then are topped with a yummy nutmeg streusel. If you're feeling like an adventurous cook, throw a little rum or rum extract into the dough. I made these for my family and my dad said that the idea didn't sound very good but he was surprised by how much he liked them (I always like to hear this).

 I should remind everyone at this point that it is not yet January 1st so it is still A-OK to put butter mixed with eggnog into muffins. Repent later.

I should also mention that this butter looks weird not because the butter was so hot it curdled the eggnog but rather the eggnog was so cold it solidified the butter in some parts. It tasted fine in the muffins but made me feel uncomfortable so be sure that before mixing, both are at room temperature.
 I threw in some dried cranberries as well because cranberries also seem like a food doomed to be appreciated at only one time of year.
 This is the yummy streusel topping that adds a nice, sugary bite to the muffin tops. It doesn't look so bad either.
I used a recipe (this recipe in fact) for this that said to fill my muffin cups to 2/3 full. There was way more batter than this and so I just filled them all up equally. The cook time was about five minutes longer than in the recipe but I think it was worth the wait to not have to throw anything away.

Muffin Ingredients
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 eggs
1 cup eggnog, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp rum extract (or just a splash or two of rum for the adventurous like me)
1 cup dried cranberries (optional)

Streusel Ingredients
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp butter

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line 12 muffin cups. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and nutmeg. Make a well in the center.

2. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, eggnog, rum and melted butter. Transfer the wet mixture into the well in the dry mixture all at once. Stir until just combined and add the dried cranberries if using.

3. In another bowl combine the flour, sugar and nutmeg for the streusel topping. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer the batter to the prepared muffin pan and either fill all cups 2/3 full (cook time: 18-20 minutes) or divide the batter evenly amongst all cups (cook time: 23-25 minutes). Top each muffin with some of the streusel topping. Cook until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

I shared these on Cupcake Tuesday

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to add streusel to the muffins! I bet they taste great combined with the eggnog!
    Thanks so much for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI,

    I am your new follower and would love for you to stop-by and follow-back!

    Have a fabulous 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...