Saturday, December 4, 2010

Banana Spring Rolls

I may have teased about this one earlier as an option for what to do with those pesky but delicious egg roll wrappers. I made nearly a dozen spring rolls but I swear one package has about 30 wrappers in them. They were less than two dollars at the store though so I'm definitely not complaining. I will note a teeny gripe that I have in that these wrappers have essentially one use-- filling them with cabbage and potentially some sort of protein then frying them up. As a person who enjoys both using everything in my refrigerator AND variety, this simply won't do. It was then that genius struck in the form of remembering something I had eaten before with no real creativity involved.

Banana spring rolls. Have you ever had something healthy, then decided it would be a good idea to fry it but the logistics posed a problem to you? There is nothing quite like a warm sliced banana filling inside of a crispy shell. Every once in a blue moon of course because having this decadent treat every night might just kill you. One option though would be to bake these just like my Asian Rolls recipe and then it could be possible to label these healthy.


 I mixed some thinly sliced bananas with some cinnamon and then stirred it all up. My bananas were pretty ripe so I didn't think they needed any added sweetener but I suppose if they were very green, sugar might be welcome.
 Obviously there will be some variation in the amount of banana anyone gets so evenly divide the mixture among the spring roll wrappers and this ends up being about two tablespoons a piece I think.
I did something bad and used butter. I don't know what came over me. I just thought it would be the best thing to fry them in. Truth be told, I actually don't feel bad about it.

Ingredients
4 egg roll wrappers
2 bananas, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter

1. Gently mix the bananas and cinnamon in a small bowl then divide the mixture up among evenly among 4 egg roll wrappers. Put the banana in the center on a diagonal (see picture) and then roll them up. There will likely be instructions for this on the package of wrappers.

2. Heat up the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the spring rolls and fry on both sides until done.

I posted these on Vegetarian Foodie FridaysFriday Potluck, Fresh, Clean and Pure Fridays

4 comments:

  1. These look fabulous! I'm going to have to try these. I'm your newest follower and look forward to viewing your next creations.

    Have a great weekend,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trina, thank you for bringing yet another AMAZING creation to Friday Potluck! These look spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for following me! And thanks as always for the lovely compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never used egg roll wrappers before, and I had no idea they were so easy to use. Pictures make a world of difference, thank you!! Great idea to use bananas - another winning recipe Trina!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...