Monday, November 15, 2010

Pumpkin Time!

So my ultimate goal for the past couple of months has been to make a pumpkin pie from scratch by Thanksgiving. There is something inside of me that is no longer satisfied with a store bought frozen pie crust and a can of pumpkin puree. I did look at a can of Pumpkin puree recently and the only ingredient was pumpkin (or calabaza) so that inspired confidence in me but I still wanted to try it myself. Also I have been very attracted to very labor intensive processes lately so this is the one for me. I bought myself a pumpkin and carried it home-- adding to the labor of course. It as just a run of the mill pumpkin, not a special pie pumpkin or anything.I'm sure that everyone has been flooded with recipes for pumpkin and pumpkin seeds already so hey, what's one more?


 My enemy throughout my childhood during October and November has consistently been the pumpkin seed. I have never really been that in to them unlike, it seems, the rest of the world but my mom gave me a recipe to try and I was intrigued.
This is the pumpkin after it has been cooked. My only real disappointment was that it wasn't a deep orange color like the puree normally is. I don't know what effect this has on flavor. Perhaps the pumpkin I picked was under ripe.
This is the mixture I tossed my pumpkin seeds in with the goal of making a sort of sweet and salty combination.
This is the pumpkin seeds tossed with that mixture and ready to bake. I think they turned out pretty well. They at least got me to enjoy pumpkin seeds which is a bit unheard of. 
The world can look forward to more pumpkin based recipes in the future because I got about 6 cups of puree from my pumpkin. I've already made some pumpkin bread.

Instructions for roasting pumpkin: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and then begin to destroy your pumpkin. Scratch out all of the stringy fibers inside and remove the seeds (save them for later!) so that all that's left is the shell. Cut this shell into reasonably sized pieces and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until the flesh is tender. Flip the slices halfway through the cooking time. Allow the slices to cool then scrape out the flesh from the rind and straight into a blender or food processor. Puree and store in the fridge or freezer.


Now, onto those seeds!
Ingredients
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp  kosher salt

When the seeds are dry (you can leave them out or bake them slightly) place them onto a lined cookie sheet and preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients. Spread over the seeds and toss around a bit to coat. Bake for about 8 minutes and then enjoy a fun snack for the next couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Your pumpkin seeds look delicious! That coating sounds addictive. Totally cool that you're doing the whole pumpkin thing from scratch! I bet your pie will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to learn more about your pie! I'm making a squash pie for the first time this year too!

    Hope you'll check out my giveaway this week :)
    CSN Giveaway @ EKat's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...