Monday, November 8, 2010

Lentil Tacos

I have been neglecting a bag of lentils that I bought way back in the day when I had the high hopes of making some great dal. While I generally prefer making my own food at home in the case of dal I felt like I was better served by the fine folks at the various Indian restaurants I attend. Perhaps one day I will work up the cojones to make my own but now that I know this recipe for lentils I doubt dal will get that much attention. Really, to tell everyone how obsessed I am I will tell you that I am eating one from my leftovers right now (yes I eat at my computer and no I'm not proud of it). I am still loving every bite of the leftovers even though I don't have the fancy chipotle sour cream or my go to topping of choice coleslaw with some lime and cilantro. It's still excellent.



Any time I make a taco pretty much I make this slaw with some lime juice, olive oil, cilantro and packaged cole slaw mix. I think it is a much heartier and tastier way to add some crunch and vegetables to a taco when compared to shredded lettuce. blech.
I may have mentioned in every post I have ever written that I love Greek yogurt in the place of sour cream. I haven't ever tried chipotle peppers in adobo sauce until this and they tasted great in the yogurt. They really have a nice barbecue sort of sauce which is often missing in vegetarian cuisine.
So the lentils didn't cook all theway through but they ended up kind of al dente and I didn't mind them so much. I guess it could be because the recipe calls for brown lentils and I used green. I'm really not too familiar with lentils in general.
I added some shredded cheddar on top too at the insistence of a certain person who thinks a taco isn't complete without cheese. He was right. This here at epicurious is the recipe I started with.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
1 package (2.25 ounce) taco seasoning (I used only half--store bought taco seasoning scares me)
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock

1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped

1 1/2 cups bagged coleslaw
juice from one small lime
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp olive oil
salt to taste

6-8 taco shells

1. Heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and salt and cook until the onions become soft, about 4 minutes. Add the lentils and taco seasoning, stir well to combine and cook for another minute. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are tender (or al dente in my case) about 25 or 30 minutes. Uncover the lentils and cook until the mixture thickens up for about 6 more minutes.

2. In one small bowl mix up the Greek yogurt and the chopped chipotles. In another medium bowl this time, toss together the coleslaw, lime, oil, cilantro and salt if desired. Assemble the tacos with some of the lentil mixture on the bottom of a hard taco shell, then some yogurt on top and finally the cole slaw.

See these on Vegetarian Foodie FridaysFight Back FridaysFoodie Fridays, Friday Potluck, Fresh, Clean and Pure Friday

7 comments:

  1. Great blog! New Follower. Following from the blog hop. I have a food blog that's loaded with recipes, spices, food giveaways and more.
    http://abundanceyeah.blogspot.com/2010/11/10-people-for-thanksgiving-20-dishes-no.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! We like quinoa tacos for another idea with beans and corn. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love lentils, but have never considered making them a la South of the Border! Thank you for sharing with Friday Potluck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely be trying this. I always use black or red beans in my tacos but lentils is more like ground beef so I think my hubby will like this! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this looks yummy...great idea and thanks for sharing your recipe! happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer: I have so much quinoa because I heard it was awesome and then I didn't like it too much but I tend to like anything with enough taco seasoning in it so that sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..this sounds wonderful..beautiful recipe..love the idea of lentils in tacos and the cilantro coleslaw and the chipotle sour cream too..will definitely try it!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...