Friday, November 19, 2010

Frittata!

I think I mentioned before that I got a cast iron skillet mostly to make the dish you're about to see here. But more than just making the dish, I really enjoy saying the word frittata. My poor dad during the entire car ride home from the thrift store had to endure me saying over and over again that I was going to make a frittata in my terrible Italian accent. Frittata! But just like my Ambiguous Asian Rolls, this required a bit of research googling. I have never made a frittata before but I have made a quiche quite a few times because I think they are delicious and I love eggs. So what is the difference between a frittata and a quiche? My initial assumption was that the difference was in the crust seeing as a quiche generally has a pie crust and a frittata lacks this but like all google searches I ended up more confused afterward than when I began. I became more confused because I began to see recipes for crustless quiche and judging by my initial rule, that would be a frittata. It seems that a quiche is more like a baked custard (think less eggs, more cream) and a frittata is more like an omelet. There are always so many layers of mystery in these early established taxonomies of food and so many people online convinced that they know making the mystery even more difficult to unravel.

What I like about both egg dishes though is their versatility. I didn't go out to buy anything for my frittata, instead I just looked through the vegetables I had and threw them in.So feel free to use this versatility to your own advantage and use everything you have around the house and turn leftovers into a hearty breakfast.


My own leftovers included some mushrooms and some already cooked sweet potatoes. That is important to note because it would not be wise to include raw sweet potatoes and then pray that they cook through.
If you have an oven proof nonstick pan then good for you because this puppy needed a lot of oil to make sure that my eggs would come out well.
As evidenced in the photo above, the egregious amount of olive oil I used still didn't help in some areas.
I used a couple of different recipes to make up my own recipe to suit my needs. Most notably this one here though

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil (plus more later)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used Cremini)
1 cup diced sweet potatoes, cooked
Handful or two fresh spinach
1 diced tomato
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper
Grated cheese of choice (I used swiss)

1. In a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet or ovenproof nonstick skillet (use about 1-2 tsp oil instead) heat up the oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for a minute then add the sweet potatoes and mushrooms. Cook for another 3 or four minutes, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are cooked through and the sweet potatoes are heated.

2. Meanwhile in a medium bowl, whisk together the six eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and about 1/4 cup of grated cheese.

3. Add the spinach and tomatoes to the mushroom mixture and stir them around for about a minute until they are well incorporated. At this point if using a cast iron skillet, I would add about another tablespoon of olive oil then add the egg mixture, stir very gently, then reduce heat to medium low. Preheat the broiler and cook the eggs on the stovetop until the bottom is set, about five minutes. I know it is difficult to tell though.

4. Sprinkle the top with grated cheese and then place the pan under the broiler for another two minutes until the cheese is melted. Divide into wedges and serve.

Note: while I personally enjoyed the sweet potato/mushroom/spinach/tomato combo, feel free to use any combination of leftover vegetables.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to add sweet potatoes to this dish. It looks fantastic and would make a great breakfast or brunch dish.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...