Saturday, November 6, 2010

Date Pinwheel Cookies

As a child I was exposed to many fruits that many other children around me never experienced until they looked into my lunchbox-- most notably pomegranates and dates. The pomegranates (which are in stores right now. Yes!) in particular were a big hit during our traditional elementary school lunch time potlucks. The food I could get for my pomegranate seeds from my naive friends who didn't have adventurous fruits like my own household. Back to my history with dates though: my dad was very fond of his bread machine even though it never fully worked and something was always going wrong. His favorite was a date bread that I also loved. I was also very partial to the dates that one could find in many cereals. One of the best date applications throughout my entire childhood though were these excellent date cookies my mom made every once in a blue moon. They are a relatively difficult process for babies like me but they end up being attractive and delicious. I bought a rolling pin from Goodwill especially for these cookies but now that I have it I'm excited for the possibilities a rolling pin represents.



the dough is filled with a sweet date syrup to which pecans are later added.
Rolling into a rectangle posed a bit of a problem for me so I had to settle for a lopsided ovoid shape. It's taste that matters right? Besides this is my first time with my new/used rolling pin. Give me a break! God!
The rolling up process was a bit messy and difficult. My mom said she didn't refrigerate the dough between mixing it up and rolling it out so I guess she is just more of a G than me because it was a painful  experience for me. The syrup was squishing out and it was impossible to move the giant log of cookies to the cookie sheet and then consequently cover in plastic wrap. I did it though!
The most trying part was letting the dough chill overnight. I hate having to make dough and then having to wait so long before reaping the rewards.
Mine looked a bit flat and not quite like the pinwheels I imagined but after cooking they were considerably more attractive.

I don't know where my mom got this recipe. She may let me know after she reads this and then everyone else can go out and purchase whatever obscure cookbook contains it. In the meantime, enjoy the recipe right here.

Ingredients


For the filling:

1 1/2 cups chopped dated
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped pecans

For the cookie dough: 
1 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soada
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a medium saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water.  Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat then stir in the pecans and allow the mixture to cool.

2. Cream the butter and sugars in an electric mixer until light a fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add gradually to the creamed mixture.

3. Divide the dough in half then on a lightly floured surface, roll each half to a 1/4 " thick rectangle.  Spread each half with half the date filling.  Roll up jelly roll style then wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill overnight. 

4. After chilling, cut the rolls into 1/2" slices.  Place 2" apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Enjoy and thank Trine's mom. 

2 comments:

  1. This recipe came from Naomi Cross' recipe that I found in "Grandma's Great Desserts"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...