Monday, November 22, 2010

Baked Eggs


I love eggs. I don't know if I need to go on but they really are great for every meal of the day. I think that through my many posts just on this blog about my undying love of eggs I have convinced the world of their value. I am automatically drawn to most recipes that have eggs as the centerpiece, especially those that involve them baked in a tomato sauce like this one. Add feta cheese and I'm sold. And while I'm serving up some tasty eggs I might as well throw in some peas and some garlic bread to scoop up the rest of the tomato sauce.

I really don't have that much to say. It's simple. It has eggs. I love it.


 I decided to use shallots instead of onions for a less commanding flavor and because in general I prefer them. I used to believe that they made me cry less but this time was quite an exception and I had to take a few breaks. I think that if I refrigerate onions they are a little bit less potent. Does this get better with time? If I continue to cut onions will I ever grow immune to their toxic ways?
 
 And then I found the weirdest looking tomato in the history of tomatoes. It had this really strange gelatinous core that looked really neat when put up to the light, sort of like stained glass.

Cook the tomato and shallots together and then add the feta and parsley. I love all of these flavors together but the parsley kind of threw me off. I think I may have not cut up the parsley small enough because it was a bit distracting when I would get a big mouthful. Maybe flatleaf parsley would have been better.

So I poured an egg into the tomato/shallot/feta mixture and then put it in the oven to bake up but it took forever for me. I think it may be the fault of my questionably ovenproof bowls, using ramekins especially meant for this purpose may help.

So naturally I overbaked them. I still really enjoyed them but the ideal result would have been a runny yolk. I found this recipe on Closet Cooking but in true Trina fashion, I switched it up a bit.

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 medium tomatoes, diced
salt and pepper
handful finely chopped parsley (or other tasty herb)
1/2 cup crumbled feta
2 eggs

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat up the oil in a saute pan on medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for another minutes. Finally add the tomatoes and some salt and pepper then reduce to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, another 5-10 minutes.

2. Remove the pan from the heat and then mix in the herbs and feta. Divide the mixture into two ovenproof, single serving ramekins.Make a well in the center of each and then crack an egg into the well. Bake the bowls in the oven until the egg whites are set, about 8-14 minutes*.

*There seems to be a perfect time to pull these out of the ovens when the whites are just set and the yolk remains runny. This also seems to be a difficult time to discern so it may just come down to intuition or constant vigilance.

Meatless Monday, Vegetarian Foodie Fridays, Foodie Fridays, Friday Potluck

7 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I've made a similar dish with home-made salsa. But as you mentioned, put feta on something and it's taken to a completely new level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eggs too and I am always looking for a new way to eat them. Thanks for helping out with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love the sound of this recipe --- and what an odd tomato! Thanks for sharing again with Friday Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting, I've never had a dish like this one, I'll have to try it soon. I've decided to follow you and I hope you can follow me back (I'm kind of new to food blogging too). Hope to see you around soon at Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salsa sounds amazing (particularly when it's homemade). Thanks for the support =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried a dish like this. Unfortunately I'm stuck in a family that believes eggs are just for breakfast. Boring.

    I've been dying to make quiche or egg bake for a Meatless Monday dinner. Now I have to add this to the list.

    Maybe I'll just make it for myself and when the others see how good it is they break out of the breakfast mold.

    Thanks for sharing this with Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  7. O man. I live for eggs. I think you should make this just to prove your family wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...