Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ambiguous Asian Rolls

I do have a quick question before I start? What is the difference between egg rolls and spring rolls? I had always assumed that the difference could be found in the contents of the roll-- generally egg rolls have meat based fillings and spring rolls are, like the spring, full of vegetables. Judging by the google search vast research I have done on the topic that the answer actually lies in the wrapper itself. Egg rolls have a thicker, egg-based wrapper and spring rolls employ a translucent rice-based wrapper. I have also heard that an egg roll is fried and a spring roll isn't but then there is also the issue of the summer roll which hasn't been mentioned at all. The debate may never be solved so for the meantime I will be making ambiguous Asian rolls with a package of wrappers labeled as egg rolls but filled with springtime vegetables. I will stop this discussion now before heads (namely mine) begin to explode.

I do not own a deep fryer for the same reason I choose to not get an ice cream machine; the results could only be tighter pants and frequent sickness. I do still love Asian rolls though and especially for the fact that they use my favorite pre-packaged cole slaw mix. I believe that I have never actually bought a head of cabbage which is kind of sad. Another perk of making these rolls? I get to use that new bottle of liquid amino that I bought. I love it because it really just transfers perfectly for the amount of soy sauce one would ordinarily use in a recipe. These ones are also baked because I don't have a deep fryer but don't let that stop anyone from frying away.



They use green onions, ginger and garlic to make everything really flavorful. I like to freeze my fresh ginger and just grate some off whenever I need it. It's a surprisingly easy ingredient to use.

 The cole slaw seems like a lot to begin with but mine wilted down significantly more than I was expecting. I think the initial recipe said that it would yield ten rolls but I think I only got five. Maybe I was just supposed to cook it less.

My assistant helps me separate eggs. I can do it but this boy is so good at cracking eggs so perfectly so I let him do what he excels in. I am actually better at cracking eggs in Cooking Mama on the wii though. Play that game! I love it.
My package of wrappers hand handy pictures of all of the stages of folding it up. I will assume that all packages have this benefit because I don't feel like explaining it. This is the first stage though to get you started.
Perhaps it was the slightly artistic side of me that made me arrange all of the chevrons on the wrappers like this after they were baked.
I served mine with some hoisin sauce which I love. I initially found this recipe in an issue of cosmo-- I have a very boring job with many magazines available-- in the back where they have like two recipes. I couldn't find it online again.

Ingredients
2 cups packaged coleslaw mix
2 chopped green onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp liquid amino or soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 egg white
about 5 egg roll wrappers

1. In a medium skillet, heat up the vegetable oil on medium heat then add the garlic and ginger. Cook for about a minute then add the coleslaw and green onions. Cook for another three minutes and then add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Cook until the mix is completely wilted then remove from heat.

2.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put about two teaspoons of the coleslaw mixture into the center of a wrapper diagonally (see picture). Fold the corners over and roll up. Use a bit of water to seal the edges and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet seam side down. Repeat with the rest of the coleslaw mix. In a small bowl whip up an egg white until frothy. Using a pastry brush, cover the rolls with some of the egg white. Bake for about 7 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.

Note: I got an incredibly large package of egg roll wrappers. I made banana spring rolls with them and they were so good. The recipe may come soon.

Braggs Liquid Amino Linky

2 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! I have always wondered the difference myself. I do quite love fresh rolls (made with rice paper, vermicelli noodles, and not fried, served with sweet chili sauce) too! Thanks for sharing with the Liquid Amino Linky! Keep those puppies coming - and great to know it's interchangeable with soy sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fresh rolls?! Oh no... another roll to be confused by =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...