Friday, October 22, 2010

Why I'm cooler than Campbell's

Because I made my own tomato soup that's why! And I feel awesome! After cooking a lot you begin to realize that when you make things yourself they just taste better. And I feel better because I know exactly what is going on through every step. I know there is no corn syrup, no preservatives, no dyes and no other scary things. All in all it was very exciting to me. I think that the new Campbell's tomato soup is actually pretty healthy and they had all of those commercials that say they use real sea salt. Wow. It took much longer than opening up a can and pouring it in a pan but it was much more rewarding.

I may have also had a ridiculous abundance of fresh tomatoes from the farmers market. They were so cheap and the people who sold them to me gave me a few extras. They were the remnants of my farm market binge that filled my fridge with so many tasty fruits in vegetables that I was having trouble eating up. Since I have decided to use up everything in my kitchen instead of going to the grocery store when I really want to make something special. I can make great things with what I already have right? I'm working on convincing myself.

 These are all of my tomatoes. I tried to squeeze out most of the guts because I don't want seeds and skin in my soup. I found it pretty easy to just strain out the bad stuff but if you are so inclined or don't own a strainer then you could boil and skin the tomatoes.
 I decided to add in some more of my excess vegetables in the form of kale. I think they made the soup taste a bit weird but for the most part it still tasted awesome. And for the most part I only eat tomato soup as a dipping sauce for grilled cheese sandwiches so it was great.
 I put everything in a huge stock pot and boiled it down.
And then I strained it all down into this tiny pot. It still makes a lot but a lot gets thrown out so that it's nice and creamy. I added some butter since that's what I remember doing with cans of soup but it's definitely optional and without it, it's vegan. Yay!

Ingredients
5 tomatoes seeded and chopped
1 yellow onion diced
1 clove of garlic minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups vegetable stock
Additional vegetables you may want to use.

p.s. I was about to say "any more vegetables you may want to get rid of" but you shouldn't end sentences with a preposition.


1. In a large soup pot heat up the olive oil on medium high heat then add the onions. Cook for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic then cook for another minute. Depending on what other vegetables you may want to use cook them some time with the onions. I added my kale right after the garlic and cooked for another minute.

2. When the onions, garlic and any other optional flavors are cooked add the vegetable stock slowly. Add the tomatoes and cook for about another 20 minutes until everything is heated up and cooked through. Turn off and let cool for about ten minutes.

3. Get out the handy dandy immersion blender you love so much (maybe it's just me who loves their immersion blender this much) and blend that hot soup until its basically creamy there will be some skin and seeds and stuff that will be strained out.

4. Use a fine mesh strainer to pour the soup into another pot. Heat the soup up again and then serve.

Find this guy on Vegetarian Food Fridays, Family Food Fridays, Fight Back Fridays,
Fresh Clean and Pure Fridays and Friday Potluck

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing with Friday Potluck again this week, Trina. I love tomato soup - I can't wait to have some of the soup we canned earlier this fall. When food's involved, I say get your preposition on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, something to try! i love campbells...simply because i am just learning and its a big help! :D i will save you recipe, looks yummy! :) happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kale. I always use it in soup, or at least whenever I have it I do. But it can be a bit strong tasting for some - it looks like you blended it all up? It looks delicious though. I wish I could have a bowl right now! Thanks for sharing with Vegetarian Foodie Fridays again this week. I'm off to share this on Twitter now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tomato soup looks great. I try to add about 6 leaves of diced kale to all meat and vegetable combination soups. A great way to get it eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this seems to be the only way I can eat up kale is thoroughly blended in a soup. Or sometimes with melted cheese =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I clicked through from Breastfeeding moms. That looks delicious and incredibly nutritious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so fresh and healthy. I can only imagine that those tomatoes give this soup a flavor like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soup looks great and easy too! Thanks for sharing your recipe at Family Food Fridays!

    LOL - I'm weird about the preposition thing too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...