Monday, October 25, 2010

Healthy Cookies? Trail Mix Style

 
So in general I like to eat healthy and I'm particularly proud of the way I can sometimes take a recipe and change one thing in it to make it just a bit better for me. That being said, I don't really believe in healthy cookies. Some healthier desserts I can bear but cookies are probably my favorite food in the world. Hear that? Not just my favorite dessert or my favorite indulgence but my favorite food. They are practically a food group for me and I love them for all of their butter and sugar and the ingredients that make a cookie a cookie. I believe that there are healthy cookies out there but in some ways they are just sacrilege. Despite this being completely ingrained in me, I found myself very attracted to this recipe and with good reason. They ended up tasting really good but I won't lie and say they tasted just like a cookie. It's not in me. They are their own tasty brand of desserts that I will let slide into my cookie food group but I will still feel dirty calling something that has wheat germ, no egg yolk, and no butter a cookie.

In other exciting news, I canned for the first time a while ago and had to wait two weeks before trying them and the two weeks are up tomorrow. If you don't hear from me for a while it's because I have botulism. I'm kind of terrified to eat my own pickles. Terrified and excited.




I think pumpkin pie spice is for suckers and I am quite happy to mix up my own. I like how flavorful these turn out thanks to the addition of the "pumpkin pie spice" and I'm always happy when something has ginger in it.
It seems suspiciously like any other cookie recipe but don't be fooled. Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix the sugars and some wet stuff together in another.
I whisked up the egg whites. I don't know if they got quite frothy enough but I do know that my arm was too tired to go any further. I think the whipped egg whites really help with the cake-y consistency though.
I added some craisins and some pecans and some chocolate chips to the mix. It was highly enjoyable. I used this recipe exactly as written here on Get Healthy Cheap. I'm quite fond of her blog and she has a fun blog carnival on Fridays. Anyway, she seems to know more about healthy cookies than I do so I'll trust her.

Ingredients
1/2 cup applesauce (I'm obsessed with applesauce in baked goods lately)
1 mashed banana
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp wheat germ
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp cloves, 1/8 tsp nutmeg)
1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 to 3/4 cups each: chocolate chips, dried fruit, and nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat together the applesauce, banana, vanilla, and the sugars together until nice and creamy. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, wheat germ, soda, salt, and spices together. In yet another separate bowl, beat up the egg whites until they are frothy.

2. Fold the egg whites into the applesauce mixture. Then add the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add the oats then Stir in the chocolate chips, dried fruits, and nuts. Drop by tablespoons onto a cookie sheet and bake for about ten minutes. Cool on a rack and enjoy. 

Note: I think I put mine into a cookie jar too soon. Straight out of the oven they were crisp on the outside and cakey on the inside but when I left them in the jar they lost that lovely crunchy bit. Be warned and actually cool them on the rack for a significant amount of time.

These are linked to 12 weeks of Christmas Cookies

2 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not alone with the cookie addiction! This sounds really good though, and surprisingly healthy! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sure look good and healthy! Good luck with the canning! I'm always afraid of botulism too, so I do freezer jam:) I need to make the jump to the real deal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...