Thursday, October 14, 2010

Oat Bran Muffins

I think I have mentioned in the past that I am really bad at grocery shopping and often end up with multiples of the same item... I believe my last goof was multiple bags of shredded coconut. I recently learned that this trait of mine is in fact genetic. I went home the a while ago only to discover that my family had no less than 8 boxes of cereal, I can't complain because I benefited from the surplus. Apparently my dad has a pretty serious problem with oat bran also. He had five boxes in the pantry when I went home last. I was able to take one of the boxes off his hands and because I'm such a nice daughter, I came up with a way for him to use up the rest of his oat bran. Of course he will have to make them himself so it may not pan out. 

I recently had some reading for my economics class about the great oat bran craze of the late 1980's so I had further motivation to make these muffins. Apparently some research came out around then saying that eating oat bran would drastically reduce your cholesterol and suddenly oat bran prices went through the roof and everyone was eating the stuff. The craze has pretty much died down in everyone (except my dad apparently) but oat bran is still very healthy and I loved these muffins.


I thought that pecans and dates sounded good in here. But I pretty much think dates and pecans sound good in anything.
The batter gets super runny. Like surprised it sets up at all runny. It begins with this oil and applesauce mixture and adding flour really doesn't make much of a difference. I knew that I had found the right recipe too when I saw that this one called for molasses which I am so in love with. I've been known to eat it plain from a spoon before.
I've decided that I need some toothpicks or something less destructive than sticking my knife in the top of a muffin. It's effective but it's very unsightly.

I think I may need some more professional muffin liners. These sports ones just aren't photogenic. Though I did just see some robot ones in King Soopers which were quite tempting.

I got the recipe here at the Joy of Baking but I changed it up quite a bit. I added more oat bran (obviously! I need to get rid of this stuff) and I switched an egg for applesauce and more spice but no zest.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup oat bran
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins or other fun dried fruit
1/2 cup chopped pecans or other fun nuts

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin pan with paper wrappers. Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine flour, bran, brown sugar, baking soda and powder, and spices.

2. In another bowl, whisk together the applesauce, molasses, vanilla, oil and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just wet. Gently fold in the nuts and dried fruit.

Transfer the very thin batter to the prepared muffin tin. Bake for about 16-20 minutes or until a knife comes out of a muffin clean. Cool for a while before serving.

Find these babies on:

Friday Potluck
Foodie Fridays 
Fight Back Fridays
Fresh, Clean and Pure Fridays
Family Food Fridays

6 comments:

  1. Trina, these look great. I love healthy muffins and I would love to make some. One of these days I'm going to dust off my baking gloves (horrible metaphor) and start making baked goodies again! Thanks so much for sharing with the Friday Potluck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi just calling by from your latest follower Via Friday Blog hops. Love meeting new bloggers. Would love to try these. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are having a end of the week.Be sure to check my blog out www.jamarahcraftycreations.blogspot.com
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your muffins look great! I would like to try your recipe.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family tends to buy things in multiples too. I'm thinking we need to start making an inventory. Those muffins, however, would be great anytime, surplus or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an oat bran muffin recipe that I lurve, but I haven't been too sure about whether I should eat them any more or not because my recipe can't be soaked (and really, when you're purposely adding in extra bran, does soaking actually help?). Then again, I really want an excuse to buy those cute Halloween cupcake cups... :-) My recipe is pretty similar to yours, minus the spices. I have on occasion used pureed nectarines and honey in place of the apple sauce and then slightly reduced the sugar to make up for the added sweetness. It worked out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM. I am still looking for "that" oat bran recipe. You know the one, that you like, a lot. Maybe this is it, all the flavors are there. thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...