Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Health-ified Cucumber Salad

So my mom makes this great cucumber salad and since I was tempted into buying an egregious amount of cucumbers at the farmers market I asked for the recipe. I soon realized why it was so tasty all along. Half a cup of sour cream and half a cup of mayonnaise. While I love both of those ingredients and I'm generally quite happy to eat something that's unhealthy but in this case I decided to health-ify it up as best I can. Also I didn't have sour cream or mayonnaise so it made complete sense.

I did have a lot of Greek yogurt on hand though, as per usual, and have recently determined that I can interchange sour cream with yogurt in all recipes. Anny baked goods that call for sour cream? Hello Greek yogurt. I think I even used it with salsa and nachos one day. The good thing though is that I've been told that Greek yogurt is healthy for me.



I think I've mentioned that I really like peeling things and this time I decided to get pretty fancy with it. Look at those stripes. So artful.
I recently said that I couldn't possibly own any more kitchen devices and that I have all that I need but I think a mandolin would have been nice for this. Really though, there is always another tool you can buy for your kitchen. I was looking on ebay the other day at those apple corers that look like clamps and also peel and dice the apples. I think they are really really cool but I honestly don't need one. I want everything though.

Also, the most important part about this picture is that they are in a strainer and I have sprinkled some salt on top so they will sweat out some of the liquid and get yummy and salty. This would have been more effective with a mandoline too and the slices were thinner.
I made my own tomato soup that night too! The recipe for that will likely come someday as well. It was a really nice dinner and let me use up all of my produce and some fresh herbs that were getting wilted but now I miss them all.

Ingredients
2 cucumbers peeled (optional) and sliced very thin
sea salt
chopped fresh chives (about 2 Tbsp)
chopped fresh dill (about 2 Tbsp)
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
cracked pepper

1. Slice the cucumbers as thinly as possible then place in a strainer and sprinkle lightly with salt Toss the cucumbers around so they are equally covered in the salt. Put the strainer on a plate because water will leak out and let sit for about an hour. Pat the cucumber slices with a paper towel to dry them off a bit.

2. Mix together the fresh herbs, yogurt and lemon juice. Add the cucumber slices and stir until they are all well coated. Add pepper to taste and serve immediately.

Find this baby on What's Cooking Wednesday and Works for me Wednesday
Real Food Wednesdays too
Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...