Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Happy Breakfast Meal

 Eggs are so great for simple and quick sandwiches. Remember those eggs in purgatory sandwiches from a while back? That's one of my favorite dinner recipes, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite breakfast sandwiches. Open faced of course (which is a concept I find very few people can grasp). Now all I need is one for lunch and dessert and I'll be set.I won't keep my hopes up for dessert though.

These sandwiches were so good. It was like a hash brown cake topped with guacamole and a fried egg. It was super filling and delicious. I don't use avocados too often but I'm starting to like them (as they are going out of season of course) in applications more than just nachos and burritos. I could have predicted they would go well with potatoes but the way they mixed with the egg was great too. So many amazing textures and flavors in a sinfully easy recipe.



I've never actually made hashbrowns before so I don't know if this is a common step but the recipe told me to shred the potatoes and then take a kitchen towel, put them in, then squeeze out all of the liquid. It certainly compressed the potatoes because at first it looked like there may be too much. Then there was only a ball.
 I decided to leave my avocados chunky so just score the fruit with a knife and then scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
 I also added chopped tomato because I felt like it but mostly because I had an extra tomato. That tends to be my motivation for most culinary decisions.
 You have to make potato pancake like things using only some olive oil as a binder. They end up a bit messy.
 Weird instruction here. The recipe told me to cover with foil. I decided to put a lid on top. I don't know how this affected the cooking or whether going without it would make any difference. Another one those confusing steps like wrapping the potatoes in a kitchen towel.
Yummy runny yolk sauce. I fried my eggs instead of sunny side up. Practically the same but different.Here is a link to the real recipe from Rachael Ray but I changed it up a bit. I also made mine for only two people whereas her recipe serves four.

Ingredients
4 new red potatoes shredded
1/2 grated onion
2 eggs
1 avocado
1 roma tomato
about 4 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Place shredded potatoes in a kitchen towel and squeeze out any moisture. transfer to a bowl and stir in the grated onion, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. In a medium skillet, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Divide the potato mixture into two mounds then place in the skillet. Pat into a pancake with a spatula then cover the skillet with aluminum foil, top with the lid. Flip once and cook until browned on each side, about ten minutes total adding more olive oil if necessary. Transfer to a plate with a paper towel.

2. Wipe out the skillet then add a tablespoon of olive oil and fry the eggs. Meanwhile in a bowl, mix together the avocado and tomato with a pinch of salt and pepper. Top the potato pancakes with the avocado and then an egg each.

Also, Everyone go Check out Meatless Mondays, this one too, and Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays where I've posted the link to the recipe.

6 comments:

  1. Mmm, and this could be delicious with scrambled tofu in place of the egg. I'm trying this ASAP. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is delicious sounding. I have to make it to find out just how delicious, it is. I love eggs and potatoes and with the avocado and tomato, it sounds too good to be true.

    Thanks for linking to MMM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mouth is watering. literally!
    LIB
    http://bit.ly/9uCyuK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get this recipe from the rachael ray magazine, because it looks just like the one I made a few weeks ago, delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pittsburghspoon: Scrambled tofu sounds excellent. Why didn't I think of that?

    Jenna: it is from Rachael Ray! I have a link to her in my post. I changed it up just a little bit. I really like her magazine though for reasons like this meal.

    thanks for all the support guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delish!!! i'm totally going to try that this week!!! PS Love the blog

    bert in MD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...