Sunday, October 17, 2010

Creamed Corn

So creamed corn may sound like the most boring tasteless thing in the world. Creamed any vegetable sounds inherently unappealing and like something a mother serves to a child circa 1950 and the child has a fit. That's all I can think about in fact. I was lucky as a child to never receive creamed anything so this is my first experience with the whole genre of vegetable sides. What an experience it was! I love corn so much and I got some great ears of the sweet stuff from the farmers market but I had to find a way to prepare it so my boyfriend would eat it (he doesn't like it enough to just eat it off the cob like me). This recipe was calling my name for some reason probably because I already had some heavy cream I had to use up and I had corn.  I needed no extra ingredients. 

Glorious sweet corn. The recipe has a ridiculously meticulous and anal way to get off every piece of silk imaginable on the corn. I don't mind a few strands of silk in my dinner if it means I get to skip a step of the preparation. Besides I think I found one strand total in my meal and it didn't upset me too much.
This step was meticulous and cool though. You use the back of a knife and run it along the cob after you've cut off the kernels to get out all of that delicious corn juice that you were just going to throw away. Brilliant!
So this recipe isn't as healthy as I may have made it out to be but I still think that anything I make at home will be more health conscious than anything I could find in a can. This is how I justify many of my recipes.
I used this version online from The Cilantropist which was adapted from Thomas Kellers cook book. The blog added more butter and cream so I decided to go with that version of the recipe.

Ingredients
3 ears fresh sweet corn
2 tbsp butter
juice from 1/2 lime
zest from 1/2 lime
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
minced chives
salt and pepper to taste

1. Remove the husks and as much silk as possible from the ears of corn. Using a large, sharp knife cut vertically down the ear to cut off the kernels on all of them. This is messy and kernels of corn will likely fly everywhere. Reserve the cobs. If you wish, rinse the kernels of corn in a large bowl to remove additional silks. Run the back of you knife down the cob to extract more corn juice, add this to the rest of the kernels.

2.  Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat then add corn and lime juice. Stir well and continue cooking until the corn has absorbed most of the liquid, about 15 minutes. Add the heavy cream, zest and pepper. Cook until the corn has absorbed the cream which will take another 6 to 8 minutes. Add the chives and salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Find this puppy on Meatless MondaysMy Meatless Mondays, and Just Another Meatless Monday.

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful recipe. I am a corn lover and seeing that fresh corn is rewarding.The lime and cayenne must take this to another level.

    Thanks for sharing this with us at My Meatless Mondays and since you are a vegetarian, please feel free to bring us more delicious choices.

    I hope you get some ideas from our fellow contributors. I know, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O it's so great. If you for some odd reason have fresh corn that hasn't been eaten up you should make it.

    Every Monday is a Meatless Monday for me so it sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...