Friday, October 8, 2010

Carrot Ginger Soup

 Has anybody had this at Whole Foods before? I have had it once before and I really liked it so I decided to recreate it from what I remember of that one time at Whole Foods. I don't think that getting attached to any soup there is financially sustainable, at least not for me. I wanted to cook with fresh ginger for the first time and I was also excited to make the first soup of the season essentially. It tastes amazing with a dollop of greek yogurt on top but without it the soup is completely vegan. Yes! So the goal was to make a carrot ginger soup that is healthy and delicious. Isn't this the goal for most recipes though?

 Truth be told, I had another motive. To use this puppy!
I got an immersion blender at a garage sale for five dollars. I never thought that they were that practical but for five dollars and taking up nearly no space, I'm convinced. It also makes me feel like I'm on Iron Chef which is always a plus.



 The ingredients are amazingly minimal which I think is always a good sign for a healthy recipe. I also used some curry powder, garlic and some olive oil but they are not pictured.

I will preach here now for a moment. For the love of god get the low sodium stock if you're concerned with sodium intake. In normal broths, the sodium is ridiculous at almost 600 mg per cup. This recipe uses three cups plus additional salt. It could get very unhealthy very quickly.
 I need to learn to cut onions professionally a la Julie and Julia. I keep telling my self that I don't use them nearly enough to justify learning a fancy new method but then I end up cursing myself when it takes forever to chop them up and my eyes are killing me.
 I find peeling things to be pretty fun. These are all of my carrot shreds.
 Onions and ginger form the base of this soup. I'm completely obsessed with ginger so my inaugural journey of cooking with the fresh form is fun. I always go to the Asian market to buy large quantities of crystallized ginger and my favorite cookies have ground ginger in them. It was a natural evolution for me to start cooking with the fresh stuff. I only used half of a root but the other half keeps well in the freezer wrapped in some aluminum foil.
 I love this picture and I loved the massive amount of carrot slices that were taking over my counter. I think that if I was an abstract expressionist my medium would be carrots.Or I could broaden that to include all produce.
 Start by cooking the onions and building a delicious, spicy base for the carrots to work with.
 After adding a bunch of stock, the carrots just need to cook through and then you are ready to blend!
I never thought it was possible to fall so completely in love with a kitchen appliance but I have with my immersion blender. Of course a regular blender or a food processor will work equally well but you may not get the same "I'm Awesome" sentiments that I had.

Ingredients
1 pound carrots peeled and sliced
1 onion diced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (more or less to taste)
1 tsp curry powder
3 cups vegetable stock

1. In a large saucepan heat up the olive oil on medium high heat then add the onions. Cook for about three minutes then add the ginger. Continue cooking until the onions are limp, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and curry powder. Cook for an additional minute. Add the carrots and stir to coat the carrot with the onions. Slowly and carefully add the stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the carrots are cooked through and easily pierced with a fork.

2. Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes then go at it with an immersion blender. Blend until smooth. Serve hot.

This recipe has been linking up a storm at Fresh, Clean and Pure Friday on la bella vita,Wholesome Whole Foods on health food lover Fight Back Friday over at food renegade and Vegetarian Foodie Fridays as well.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds easy, healthy, and delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hop!!! Lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    This looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is our dinner tonight so prepare to be featured in my shout out's next week. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for linking up at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I love carrot soups (with coriander, with ginger, etc.!) I also love peeling things -- there is something so cathartic about it! This is getting added to my must-try list. And I'm now your newest follower (sorry Hanna!)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! thanks everyone. This soup really is amazing and I was able to tell myself all along that it was healthy too so I would definitely recommend trying it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...