Sunday, October 31, 2010

Almond Butter Cups

I make almond butter a lot and while I love it on toast or on various fruits or on my spoon about to enter my mouth I longed for something different this time. I was thinking about the various applications of other nut butters and became fixated on peanut butter cups. This was my AHA moment and I suddenly became very devoted to the cause of making my own almond butter cups. It also gave me just the opportunity to use the mini muffin pans I had acquired at a garage sale. My mom makes mini pies in them too so I may have to whip out that recipe sometime soon or I could actually make smaller muffins. Therein lies my true problem though; I love large muffins too much to make them any smaller. But back to the recipe at hand! I had a great opportunity to use up my own homemade almond butter and to use my mini muffin pan so I was totally in business. On top of that (yes! In infomercial style there IS more!) I was making candy so I was gaining yet another prospect for screwing my friends and family out of real gifts and leaving them with homemade food products.
Wow. With all of the benefits stacked up against me I made them and they were great. They were really easy—requiring only two ingredients once if the almond butter has been made in advance—and actually pretty fun. But man o man, were the rewards bountiful. I love chocolate covered almonds but I would say that these were better and more exciting.


I melt the chocolate on a homemade double boiler instead of the microwave because it makes me feel more professional. On top of that though, it takes a lot longer to harden and is easier to heat up again if necessary. I mostly just kept it at a really low simmer almost the entire time.
I used a spoon to spread chocolate around and up the side of the paper cup. I don’t know if anyone else feels this way but the miniature Reese’s cups have too much chocolate going on when what I really want is the peanut butter inside.  I wasn’t about to let that happen to me so disperse the chocolate evenly.
I don’t know why chocolate covered almonds seem so natural to me but it took me a while to discover this lovely combination. Worth the wait though.
I kept them in the refrigerator the whole time because almond butter has the potential for spoilage and also it made it pretty easy to get them out of the paper muffin cups.
I think I made about 20 in total but the measurements are very lax. I have two rules though: 1. Make your own almond butter if only to feel super accomplished and 2. Spring for the good chocolate chips, I’m talking Ghiradelli or something.

Ingredients
1 ½ cups dark or milk chocolate chips. More if necessary*
About ½ cup of almond butter. Again more if necessary*

1. Fill a saucepan halfway with water, place a glass bowl on top, fill the bowl with 1 cup of the chocolate chips, then bring to a very gentle simmer. Stir the chocolate chips frequently. Meanwhile, fill two mini muffin pans with paper liners. When the chocolate chips melt, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate chips until all of the chocolate is smooth. 

2. Using a spoon, dollop a small amount of the chocolate into a paper liner. Use the spoon to push the chocolate up the sides of the paper as much as possible. Repeat with the remaining liners. Place pans in the fridge and wait about 10-15 minutes until the chocolate has set and hardened.

3. Fill each of the cups with about ½ tsp of almond butter. Place the bowl of chocolate back on the simmering water until it is melted and smooth again. Use a spoon to dollop chocolate on top of the almond butter and spread the chocolate to the edge if necessary. Refrigerate again until set.

11 comments:

  1. This is fantastic. It looked good linked up but now that I read the recipe and what you did, it looks and sounds better. I want to try it but I am not sure I have the patience to put the chocolate on the bottom and sides of the mini tins.

    I am not a fan of nuts covered with chocolate but make it goopy, I love it. Thanks for linking this tempting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this kind of goodie! Thanks, these will be on the Holiday table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. They look like fun to make and even more fun to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trina, my son is going to just love you when I make them for him - he is allergic to tons of things but almonds and chocolate - perfection!! And thanks for explaining the best way to paint the chocolate onto the paper - I had not a clue! Thanks for sharing this delicious treat with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There really is never too much chocolate in my book! :) I love these and make a similar pb cup that we love and I can't make anymore because I have no will power!


    Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, it's great to have you along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Yumm...what a great little treat! Thank you for sharing your recipe.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! I've been planning to make peanut butter cups for a while! These almond butter ones sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG - these look good. I have never actually had a Reese's peanut butter cup - we don't get them here in New Zealand - but have often fantasised about them. I like the idea of almond butter even more, and I love that you made your own :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much. I would definitely advise putting off the peanut butter cups in exchange for these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Trina and welcome to the hearth and soul hop this week! I am now following your blog and I look forward to sharing with you your love of food! These peanut butter cups are definitely a favorite of mine, but I have never tried to make them before! Definitely on my must do list! Thanks again for sharing on the hearth and soul hop. All the best. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  11. whooopsie! I meant almond butter cups, but you can understand the error! :) Alex

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...