Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Strawberry Banana Bread

I think we've all been here with bananas that are just impossible to eat plain anymore. There are quite a few possibilities when one encounters this situation. There are smoothies and baked goods and the less desirable act of just grinning and bearing it and eating the mushy thing. There is always the ubiquitous banana bread of course. I won't patronize anybody by putting up a plain banana bread recipe. I think most people have their own recipe that they follow religiously any time they accidentally (it was an accident right?) let their bananas get to an inedible state. Sometimes though, you may crave something a bit unusual and more exciting. That's where I come in with the addition of fresh strawberries. I don't know why I had never thought of this before considering strawberry-banana must be one of the most popular fruity flavors in everything. I don't think a smoothie shop can exist without a strawberry banana smoothie. The flavor combination works just as well in a bread.



Having an excess of fresh strawberries isn't really ever the same problem to me as having too many bananas. In fact, I was kind of sad to cut them up and put them into bread. I'm grossly biased. Naturally I ate about as many as went into the bread inevitably. Lucky me the bread tasted really good otherwise I would really regret sacrificing my strawberries.

Here it is just out of the oven. It smelled wonderful as all baked goods do. I put some strawberry slices on top of the loaf for aesthetic purposes. They are easier to see in the picture below.

I love the crust on top. Just like a muffin top!

I found the recipe on this really cool blog which is devoted entirely to banana bread recipes. I think that is pretty amazing. I naturally made a few adaptations but nothing to severe.


2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 or 3 mashed bananas
1 cup chopped strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.

2. In a mixer cream the butter and sugars together. Next add the eggs, yogurt, vanilla and bananas. Once all mixed together, slowly incorporate the the flour mixture. Gently fold in the strawberries with a rubber spatula.

3. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan then bake for about 50 minutes to an hour or until a knife comes out clean. Allow to cool for ten minutes before removing the loaf from the pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...