Monday, September 13, 2010

Greek Nachos

So the one person who reads this blog may have noticed that my cooking has been a little bit less intense lately and much more sporadic. The incredibly intuitive reader may have picked up on my new inclination for desserts and snacks. Well everyone is right. I've returned to school now and due to my hectic schedule I can't really cook and when I do, it's just for myself. As it turns out, cooking for one's self is both much less rewarding and more difficult. So why do it? Well I do it when I find a recipe like this one that is easily amended to feed just myself and such a pleasant after school treat that I can hold off on decimating an entire box of wheat thins for dinner or that bag of ramen. It's so quick too that after a 9 hour day trapped on campus I'm willing to wait the extra few minutes and put in a little bit of effort in chopping to do it.  A lot of recipes I find online seem to be geared towards cooking for a family of four or a larger group and I would have to imagine that this turns off a lot of people to cooking for themselves and perpetuates this notion that the only people who cook or enjoy being in the kitchen are housewives. I  think I may be thinking about this too much so it's time to talk about the nachos.

I like nachos. Usually when I need a quick meal I like chips with some beans and cheese and corn on top baked until they are awesome and served with guacamole and salsa on the side. This night I wanted to try something different though (and eat up a cucumber) so I searched for greek nachos. There was only one recipe that it seemed everyone and there mother was trying and naturally it contained meat. Other than that though, the flavors seemed great and just what I wanted. I used some sundried tomatoes and some cucumbers for my toppings with a delicious yogurt sauce but this is open to interpretation. I think that maybe some chickpeas or something would be great too.



I started out with some pita that I cut into very uneven and kind of ugly wedges for chips. I brushed them with a little olive oil then popped them into the oven to get crispy.

I cannot express how difficult it was for me to find sundried tomatoes. I like them actually dried so I get to rehydrate them but it seems the world prefers them in oil. I was not going to buy an 8 dollar bottle of my second choice so I searched and searched for them instead. I went to whole foods and didn't find them but upon looking in the bulk area I did. It was fantastic.

Here is the original recipe. As you can see it is very different from mine so I should call it something like the basis for my recipe I guess.

2 white or whole wheat pita pockets cut into wedges
olive oil (about 1/4 cup total but probably less)
1/4 cup greek yogurt
2 ounces feta cheese (plus more for topping)
1 tsp fresh chopped mint
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper
1/2 cucumber chopped
about 5 sundried tomatoes, rehydrated in boiling water and chopped.

1. heat the oven to 350 degrees. Arrange pita wedges on a cookie sheet and brush both sides with olive oil. Place in the oven for ten minutes, flipping once halfway through.

2. In a small bowl whisk together yogurt, feta, mint, lemon and 2 tbsp olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

3. Arrange pita slices on a plate then top with cucumber and tomatoes. Drizzle or dollop yogurt mixture on top then serve. To yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...