Friday, September 24, 2010

Fluff-tastic Lemon Ricotta Muffins

So I never know what to do with ricotta. I buy it for one specific recipe that calls for it and then I have a ton left over that usually ends up getting thrown out (sad). This time I had a lot left over from my lasagna from back in the day seeing as apparently this cheese keeps forever. Not that long because I'm posting this pretty late but still a substantial amount of time when compared to many other dairy products. The point is that I had an abundance of ricotta and nothing to do with it. I didn't want to make lasagna again, that would just be boring and in this house I don't like to repeat meals very often since with school and work I rarely have time to cook so when I have an opportunity, I take it to try something new and exciting. This is turning into a paragraph of pretty intense tangents so I think I will just get to the point here. I was looking at some recipes online (I think I googled ricotta recipes) and I began to get results for french toast and breakfast food. For some reason, the idea of ricotta in a sweet treat was unheard of to me. This is the part where it gets a bit confusing because I literally worship the cannoli and yet I have always tied ricotta to pasta dishes. I finally found the perfect recipe for me, a lemon ricotta muffin, and set off on making them.

Someone may be curious about the modifier I have bestowed upon these muffins. Yes, they are indeed fluff-tastic.The lemon may be the star flavor wise in this recipe but the ricotta definitely pulls its weight making for a very light and airy batter and thus a fluffy muffin unlike nay I have ever had before. They are definitely worth a try if you have some extra ricotta but hell, I'd buy ricotta just to make these.



The muffins are very zesty. I liked the look of my splotchy lemons after I grated them. So cute.

I liked the look of the lemons after I juiced them too. I have a profound love of photographing citrus fruit I guess. I found some old pictures on my camera of some limes too from long before I even started food photography.
O I love muffins yes I do. I especially love these muffins as they gave me an opportunity to use the turbinado sugar I picked up just a while back. I didn't add slivered almonds on top like the good people at the Food Network recommend because I didn't have any on hand but I would imagine that they could only make the muffins taste better.

I got the recipe here and I barely changed a thing. I only excluded the almond slivers and just added all of the juice from the lemons, I wasn't too particular about measuring that. O, and their recipe calls them biscuits for some reason. I have changed this part as well, I will call them muffins.

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup thinly sliced almonds (optional)
Turbinado sugar or additional regular sugar for sprinkling

1. Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Mix the flour,baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

2. In an electric mixer cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Beat in the ricotta then the egg, lemon juice, and almond extract. Slowly add in the flour mixture Until just combined (THe batter should be thick but fluffy)

3. Divide the batter amongst the muffin cups. Sprinkle with sugar and slivered almonds then bake until the tops are a pale golden color, about 20 minutes.

Look! Cupcake Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. I love lemon! I would have never thought to put those 2 flavors together.
    Thanks so much for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...