Friday, September 10, 2010

Coconut Macaroons

So here is one of the many recipes that I have been enjoying since I was a wee girl. Probably not so wee but it is definitely such an easy recipe that I could make it at a younger age. I guess these aren't technically macaroons but I think this sounds better than coconut balls or something. I made them because I accidentally bought a new bag of coconut without realizing I had another almost full bag lurking in the dark realms of my cabinet. It was a sad day but luckily for me I have this recipe which is excellent for eating up large quantities of coconut and I just so happen to love the cookies that result. Perfect! All of the other ingredients are definitely things that I normally have on hand anyway so it was a very quick result. My only problem is that it has a pretty small yield so if anyone plans on making these for a group of people I would double the recipe.

I also think that this recipe is so basic so it would be easy to mess around with it a bit. While baking, I was thinking that a maraschino cherry on top would look great and taste pretty fantastic too. Or maybe an almond. This time around though, I'm very happy to just eat them plain.



Perhaps the easiest dough in the history of dough. Though I guess this probably couldn't even be considered a dough in the same way I doubt these could be considered cookies. Semantics aside though, it's very easy but I think this picture illustrates the small amount that you get from the recipe.
And already on to dropping them onto a cookie sheet for baking. I lined mine with aluminum foil but even then some of them were a bit difficult to get off. Perhaps parchment paper or greasing the sheet (as the recipe calls for it) would be better.

Ingredients

2 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
dash salt
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups coconut

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a cookie sheet. In a medium bowl. beat the egg whites lightly then add sugar, flour, salt and almond extract and blend well. Stir in the coconut.

2. Drop by the Tablespoon onto the prepared cookie sheet then bake for 13 to 17 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Immediately remove from the cookie sheet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...