Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cherry Tomato Bruschetta

Don't you just want to put it on a crostini and eat it? Well guess what! thats the plan! Now I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I made these delicious. It's cherry tomatoes and olive oil for crying out loud. How much preparation could they need before they taste amazing? And really, this recipe is painfully easy and the results are amazing. The sweet tomatoes are cooked in some olive oil infused with mint and garlic until the split open and are just about to lose their shape. Put them on top of some thin slices of baguette with maybe a little bit of goat cheese and suddenly the world doesn't seem such a bad place after all.

I was a little bit picky with this one. I decided that I wanted a box of cherry tomatoes that had the yellow ones in there too so that the dish would look even prettier. It took a while to find but Whole Foods had the goods for me. Unfortunately, my pickiness as to color distracted me from the size which led to a wide range of sizes. In the recipe, the authors told me to avoid this at all costs but I didn't really notice a difference. Who knows. I got it from one of the home-y magazines, either Good Housekeeping or Better Home and Gardens but I couldn't find the recipe online.



And so it began with my oddly shaped but prettily colored tomatoes in some olive oil in a glass baking dish (I used my pie pan).
Despite the olive oil and tomatoes being so delicious, this happy little herb is the secret weapon. Mint! It's so refreshing and it goes so well with the goat cheese. I have never really used it (or perhaps even eaten it) in a savory setting but now I'm very glad that I did. I made quick work of it with a nice chiffonade too.
And the final picture is, of course, me devouring it. They were so good and the oil ended up being flavored by the mint and the garlic and tasted great alone on toast.

Here is the recipe, I made mine a lot smaller because it was only for two people and little tomatoes aren't cheap.

1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
about 1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
about 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

toasted bread
goat cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Put the cherry tomatoes into a baking dish then pour olive oil over them until they are well coated and there is a thin layer of olive oil at the bottom of the dish.

2. Toss in the garlic, mint, salt and pepper then bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the skins split but the tomatoes still retain their shape.

Notes: So I realize there are a few about's in the recipe and that shouldn't frighten anyone. If anything, it should tell the world how easy this recipe is and how open to interpretation it is. As I said before, It's cherry tomatoes cooked in olive oil. It's difficult for a sensible person to make it taste bad.

weeee! Simple Lives Thursday! Recipe Swap Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. What lovely little bruschetta. I love the combination of those flavors and the fact that it's all bite-sized makes it the perfect snack.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...