Thursday, September 30, 2010

Breakfast Burritos

I set out to make my own breakfast burritos with these three main flavors from things I had in my house. a quick salsa (I can't call it pico de gallo because I left out the raw onions. I detest raw onions), eggs and cheese. I also threw in some black beans just for fun. This recipe I made serves about 5 people or if you're like me, you can wrap them up in aluminum foil and have a quick breakfast on the go. I really love breakfast burritos but ordering them out in a restaurant scares me. I found a piece of bacon in mine once and have been traumatized ever since. Most diners are like that where everything is just cooked communally on a big griddle, it's a bit scary if you ask me. I think I watched a forensic files or CSI one time where they were trying to confirm whether this man had eaten at this diner based on the contents of his stomach. The cook insisted that it was impossible because he hadn't put onions in his eggs or whatever he was making but it turned out that he had without knowing it because his cooking on this big griddle was so frantic. Well I know for sure that there will not be any unwanted ingredients in my own burritos and truth be told they ended up tasting as good as if not better than the ones I would order from a diner. If only I had green chile to smother them in. But some hot sauce will have to do for now.



 I used 8 eggs for these. It seems ridiculous and was a bit difficult to cook them all together but as I said I'm making a lot of burritos. The trick is to add milk to the eggs. It makes them stay creamy and moist as they cook. There is nothing worse than dry scrambled eggs. 
 This is all eight eggs in the pan at the same time. Hopefully others have bigger frying pans than I do.

Top those yummy creamy eggs with some black beans, some cheese, some of my patented knockoff pico de gallo then wrap those babies up.
 It sounds easy right? Well I don't think I got one burrito to remain in tact. It was very difficult but they still tasted fine. I think heating up the tortillas a bit would help immensely.

Ingredients
5 tortillas
8 eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper
grated cheddar cheese
1/2 can black beans
2 Tbsp olive oil

patented knockoff pico de gallo
2 roma tomatoes diced
2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic
1 tsp lemon juice
pinch of salt

1. Toss all of the ingredients for the pico de gallo together in a small bowl, cover with saran wrap and let sit in the fridge until needed. Heat up 2 Tbsp olive oil in large frying pan over medium heat. In large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Stir in a pinch of salt and pepper as well. Transfer eggs to frying pan (wash large bowl if you want to reuse it later). Cook and stir constantly until the eggs are cooked through.


2. Put cooked eggs into a bowl and gently stir in black beans. Take one tortilla (either already heated up or put in the microwave for about ten seconds) and put on some of the egg/bean mix, top with some pico and some grated cheese. Gently roll in and fold in the sides. Put the burrito seam side down back into the frying pan and cook about a minute on each side until golden brown and slightly crispy. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Notes: Feel free to make real pico de gallo by throwing in some diced raw onion. Also feel free to add any other toppings to the burrito.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...