Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Almond Butter

So I never really buy almond butter because despite how delicious it looks, it's incredibly expensive. Like beyond any reasonable price for any condiment unless it's gold flake. Which I think is more of a decoration than a condiment. I can certainly understand the argument for all of these natural butters though since the ingredient and nutrition label on my normal jar of kroger peanut butter is a bit scary to look at. Of course, being the obsessive person that I am, I've decided to make my own nut butter. I found raw almonds at I think Sprouts for 3 dollars a pound. I love sales.

I have other motives for making almond butter. Now that I'm in school I need highly portable snacks and Almond butter works as a great dipping sauce for apple slices, celery sticks, carrot sticks, or bananas which are a bit more difficult to dip. Also as a vegetarian I am often desperate for happy protein loaded snacks. Finally, it just tastes really good and I was able to make it for very cheap.



So the roasting step is completely optional, raw almonds will work fine. Coating the almonds with oil is also optional as dry roasting is perfectly fine. So many choices!
I didn't want to just throw hot almonds into my food processor so I fashioned this little satchel out of aluminum foil for them to cool in on my counter.
I took this picture to illustrate that the almond butter should be refrigerated. I actually kind of like it cold but it is also necessary because if left at room temperature, the almonds could potentially turn rancid.

So I just kind of made this recipe up knowing the basic rules of making a nut butter.

Ingredients
1/2 pound raw almonds
about 2 Tbsp olive oil plus more for roasting if you're so inclined
2 tsp honey

1. (optional) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. On a cookie sheet lay down a sheet of aluminum foil then lay down the almonds on top. Toss the almonds with about a teaspoon of olive oil. You may need more then place in the oven. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown and smell nutty. Be sure to remove the almonds from the cookie sheet immediately because they will continue to cook.

2. In a food processor combine the almonds, remaining oil and honey. Blend until smooth and creamy. Be sure to refrigerate the final product in an airtight container.

Note: The amount of oil and honey added are purely personal preference (alliteration!). Some may want it a bit creamier or some may want it creamier. Whatever works!

Find this on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...