Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sweet potato and black bean burritos

I've made myself a new friend in these burritos. They are really amazing and it should be no secret that I'm obsessed with black beans. I hear tell they are good for me too which only adds fuel to my fire. I was mostly inspired by a recipe in the low fat moosewood cookbook that I got at a garage sale for a dollar. I love garage sales and don't know that I could ever pay full price for a cookbook. In fact, looking at my cookbooks right now, none of them were full priced. Anyway, back to the task at hand. I added cheese on top because that sounded good but without cheese the burritos would be vegan. The pictures also include the yellow rice I made on the side (to de-healthy the dish a bit naturally). The flavor is really unlike any other burrito I've ever had before but it was just spicy enough with a little bit of salsa on top. Cilantro and lemon juice mixed in with the black beans add another appreciated dose of flavor to the mix. 

I got white sweet potatoes which I don't think I've ever seen before. All of the other options at my supermarket were yams technically. They were a bit milder than I was accustomed to but I think that made it easier to adjust to a savory preparation of the sweet potato.
Mixing the sweet potato with some sauteed onions, jalapeno, and garlic also helps to make the sweet potato less sweet. Obviously.
Many recipes I saw for this called to puree everything together but I decided to keep them separate and not completely mashed for the sake of texture.
Just roll up the burritos as well you can and top with cheese. It was a very easy dish to make and makes a lot of food so leftovers galore! and I made a little quesadilla to have for lunch sometime too because I had a bit of leftover filling.

Ingredients
2 white sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
1 diced yellow onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 small jalapeno with seeds removed chopped
2 tsp cumin
1 can black beans drained
1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
6 tortillas
Shredded cheese (optional, without it, you're in vegan town)


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the sweet potatoes and salt in a saucepan with salt and water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for about ten minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside.

2. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat up the olive oil in a medium saucepan then add the onions, jalapeno and garlic. Cook on medium low heat until the onions are cooked through (about seven minutes) then add the cumin and cook for an addition 2 or 3 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. In small bowl, mix together the black beans, cilantro and lemon juice, mashing the beans slightly with the back of the fork.

4. In another small bowl, mash the onion mixture and the sweet potatoes together. On the six tortillas spread some of the sweet potato mixture and some of the black beans then roll up into a burrito (fold down the ends and then roll up!) and place seam side down into a well oiled 8x8 glass baking dish. Finish all six, top with cheese if desired then cover the dish tightly with foil and put in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Linked up to Home and Pantry Blog Hop

2 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic. It would make a great lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I can say from experience that it is good for any meal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...