Friday, August 6, 2010

Orange French Toast


Well I had a friend over for breakfast the other day and he was kind of in a hurry so I needed something I could prepare in advance and would hopefully be pretty impressive. Yes I'm petty like that. I make french toast a lot since I am so blessed to live so close to a whole foods which makes excellent rustic baguettes that are absolutely perfect for french toast. My brother went through a phase where he would make himself french toast every single morning with just the plain white bread we kept in the house that came in a plastic bag. On second thought, maybe I should have saved this recipe for if he ever comes to see me. I've had the french toast from Village inn too which also uses kind of a plainer bread. Trust me though, using a crusty baguette is ultimately the best way to go. I also wanted to make this one kind of special so I decided on a sort of citrus theme with orange zest and juice in the batter which soaks into the bread and really infuses the flavor. It's a super easy recipe and as I said, can be prepared well in advance. Just let the bread soak up the batter and whenever you're ready to serve it, a quick fry in a pan is all it needs.




The batter is just like that of any other French toast batter but with the addition of orange-y extras.
The bread works just like a sponge and soaks up the batter. This is a good recipe to use up stale baguettes as the soaking process makes the bread very soft again. With a newer loaf of bread I would still recommend letting the bread sit in the batter for 30 minutes but with older bread one could easily make this the night before.
This is the finished product. The recipe doesn't require too much juice so you can still eat the orange slices. For the recipe I just modified the normal French toast recipe I have tucked in some compartment in my noggin to incorporate the citrus.

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
zest from one orange
1 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp sugar
8 1 inch thick slices of baguette (will need about 1/2 baguette)
Oil or butter for frying (I just use oil but I suppose tradition would mandate butter)

1. Whisk together the first five ingredients in a small bowl or directly in the dish you will be soaking the bread in. I used an 8x8 glass baking dish and all of the bread fit perfectly. When the mixture is whisked together, place the pieces of bread down inside it. Cover the pan with saran wrap and let sit in the fridge for 15 minutes. Flip the pieces of bread and let them soak for a minimum of 15 minutes and up to 8 hours or so.

2. When you are ready to fry them up, pour about a tablespoon of oil into a frying pan and heat up over medium heat. place the bread slices down in the oil and fry for about 2 minutes, then flip them over and fry for an additional 2 minutes or until golden brown on both sides. Serve up and enjoy.

Things I would do differently: I used the other half of the baguette to make french toast for my boyfriend later in the week but this time I flavored the slices with some Amaretto. It got me thinking that some cointreau or grand marnier or one of the many orange-flavored liqueurs would be great in this... completely optional of course but potentially even more delicious.




2 comments:

  1. This recipe inspired me today, here's my post:

    http://www.gethealthycheap.com/2010/08/peachy-pomegranate-french-toast.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! those look great! I love how you were able to use any old fruit lying around the house. That sounds like a success to me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...