Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Black Bean Tacos

 I make these tacos more often than I should because they are so easy and the result is really fantastic. I found the recipe while looking for a taco with some sort of slaw on top a while ago. I don't know why but I just really wanted a vegetarian taco with slaw on top. It sounded good and thank god I'm so peculiar because I found these great tacos. They use soft tortillas but they get sauteed in a bit of olive oil until they are crunchy and golden brown on the outside. Feta may seem at first like a strange choice for a taco but it is salty and delicious. Who knew Latin and Mediterranean food would get along so well? There is such an easy slaw that goes on top and after constantly being assaulted by coleslaw in a restaurant coated with mayonnaise, one using only lime, cilantro and olive oil is so refreshing. It's perfect for summer too. O, and if you were wondering, I used the rest of the slaw I used on my portobello mushroom sandwiches. So if you're planning your menu for the week these two would be easy to make in the same week.



It starts with mashing up the black beans with a fork and just a little bit of cumin and some salt and pepper. I go for the cans of beans with no salt added and that way I can control it but I guess one wouldn't need salt if they got one of the cans with flavor in them already. Personal choice I suppose.
And this super refreshing coleslaw to cut through the heaviness of the beans quite nicely.
Spread half of the bean mixture on a tortilla and let it cook a bit so the outside gets nice and crispy in the olive oil.
Then fold it over with a spatula and transfer it to a plate to add the other ingredients to the mix. I got some pretty neat looking patterns on my tortillas. There were no religious icons but I did think they looked cool. It makes four tacos.
In the midst of eating. I'm lucky to have snapped this photo because this stuff was going fast. So good! And I feel like its a very well balanced meal. Who knows.

As I said, I found this recipe online right here. But instead of clicking that labor intensive link, just read it here. Plus I changed a few things anyway. I've been using white tortillas and they work wonderfully so I have no desire to now try yellow or corn tortillas. Also, truthfully I'm not a fan of green onions so I nixed them all together. As per usual, hot sauce is always a welcome addition.

1 15 oz can black beans drained
1 tsp cumin
The juice from one small lime (about 1 Tbsp)
2 cups coleslaw mix
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 tsp olive oil plus more for sauteing
4 tortillas
1/3 cup crumbled feta

1. Empty the drained can of beans into a bowl and add smash a little bit with a fork, they shouldn't be fully mashed. Add cumin plus some salt and pepper to taste and then stir up well. Set aside.

2. In a separate bowl toss together the coleslaw, lime juice, cilantro and olive oil.

3. Heat about a tablespoon of oil on medium high heat in a skillet. These have to be cooked to order essentially so one at a time. Place one tortilla in the pan and coat one half of it with 1/4 of the bean mixture. Cook for a minute or two until the tortilla is golden brown and then fold in half to form the taco. Fill with feta and coleslaw. Repeat for the remaining tortillas and beans.

2 comments:

  1. These look super tasty! We eat a lot of black beans at our house.

    David Figge recommended your blog to me. Looking forward to checking out some of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm a legume freak so these make me very happy.

    I met him at work so thank you for taking a look.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...