Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rice Pancakes

 So truth be told, I normally eat fancy breakfasts that aren't cereal, fruit, a muffin, or last night's dinner only for an excuse to slather maple syrup over something. And not the fake syrup either, I can't stand that stuff, I will eat pancakes plain before I try to swallow that sugar water with a hint of maple flavoring. I'm talking to you village inn. Despite that, I really do love these unique pancakes with or without the syrup (though preferably with). They have successfully managed to be both fluffy and rich at the same time. They are super filling though so beware. My mom makes them and her mom made them and now I'm making them on my own because they are that good. Even my boyfriend, a proclaimed hater of breakfast, (it's a miracle we get along because breakfast has always been my true love... It's the only meal of the day when eating something sweet is acceptable) liked these. The recipe yields much more pancakes than necessary for two people but the batter keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days. And don't worry, you'll definitely want to make them again within the next couple of days!


Here is the batter... It requires preparation from the night before. But I can hardly call putting some cooked rice in a bowl with some milk strenuous. They are an excellent use for leftover rice.

Doing this almost made me wish I had a griddle but I have no space for one. But cooking pancakes is infinitely easier if you have a griddle on your side. not just one skillet in which you cook one pancake at a time.

And here is the final product. The texture is so interesting and really unlike any other pancake out there. I very much so like to think that this recipe is a family tradition very exclusive to us but I'm sure other people have discovered the wonder already. Although, with a somewhat thorough google search, I found none quite like mine.

1 cup cooked rice
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp oil or shortening
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 beaten egg

1. Combine in a bowl with a lid, 1 cup of cooked rice and 1 cup of milk then cover and allow to sit overnight.

2. In the morning when the mixture has soaked for a night, add remaining milk and the rest of the ingredients to form your batter. Stir well but it will likely be lumpy still. Meanwhile, heat up a griddle or skillet on medium heat. I put a tiny amount of oil in mine so that the pancakes wouldn't stick. Some spray like Pam would also be effective.

3. Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup, pour the batter into the skillet. My boyfriend told me the trick that once the bubbles on the surface of the pancake start to pop, it's ready  to flip. Genius right? I on the other hand just use intuition. But they end up being about a minute on each side. Once cooked, transfer to a plate and serve.

mmmm.... Mouthwatering Mondays
Tempt my Tummy Tuesday

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those look yummy, especially with the strawberries! I'd love for you to stop by and share a recipe each and every Wednesday at What's Cooking Wednesday. I look forward to seeing you there :)

    Cristi
    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...