Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches

 One simply can't go wrong with a giant portobello mushroom cap. Doesn't it just look amazing? It's nearly impossible to make the thing taste bad especially when they are as huge as the ones I found in safeway. Just the same though, I wanted to do something fun with them so I made a sandwich. A delicious sandwich. I used the bread I bought from panera... since I use their wifi so much it is only fair that I throw them a bone and buy their bread. And then I made a sort of deconstructed coleslaw for the mushroom to sit on top of. Of course any toppings would be completely acceptable in my book but I really like coleslaw. There is an amazing vegetarian restaurant near me called watercourse and my favorite sandwich there also has a portobello mushroom and some coleslaw. They call it a po' boy. Who knows where that came from because I don't know how close it is to an authentic po' boy. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? so here is my version.



I chose not to take off the gills but I did remove as much of the stem as I could and then I brushed a little marinade on it. Just a little. They taste good without my help.

It's pretty easy for them to burn so I was constantly adding some more water to the pan to prevent that disaster.

 Here are the ingredients...

For the mushrooms
2 Portobello mushroom caps
2 Tbsp Olive oil plus additional for pan
1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 tsp dried rosemary

For the sauce
2 tbsp mayonnaise
splash of lemon juice
splash of hot sauce

Toppings of choice-- I used coleslaw
and of course 4 slices of good bread. Don't do these babies an injustice by using some stale wonderbread. please.

1. Whisk all of the marinade ingredients together (the vinegar, oil, garlic and rosemary) then use a pastry brush to rub it all over the mushroom caps. Let the mushrooms sit for a minute or two to absorb some of the flavors. Meanwhile heat up some oil in a skillet on medium.

2. Place the mushroom caps in the pan gill side down. If the pan gets too dry add a couple tablespoons of water. After about 3-5 minutes, flip the mushroom to the other side and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.

3. While the mushrooms are cooking, toast the bread. On two pieces spread half of the mayonnaise mixture. Top with some coleslaw or other various greens. When the mushrooms are cooked, place them on top of the coleslaw and then top with the remaining pieces of bread. Yields two sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...