Monday, July 26, 2010

Jam filled crumb bars

 So I'm still away from my precious internet so I'm still doing these in various coffee shops. I like to think that the caffeine makes me type faster. What also makes me type faster? a various assortment of desserts including this one. It's so super easy and surprisingly super delicious. It's a pretty simple shortbread essentially baked with jam or preserves inside. The topping is nice and crumbly and the inside is gooey and sticky. I used blueberry preserves just for the hell of it and I think that they look nice that way. I also feel that bar desserts are underrated. They really are super convenient and truly my favorite. I prefer them to cookies because I just get to layer all of the ingredients down and throw them in the oven. I get to make the portion sizes my own and it just seems like much less work than spooning out individual cookies and you reap essentially the same rewards. But back to the point, amazing amazing blueberry jam bars.

 Why are they so good? Butter of course, it makes everything better.and crumbly and melty and buttery and delicious.  And next to the butter is my kitchenaid mixer, which I also love.

Awesome right? It's really easily pressed down into the pan. But not for me because I always put too much on the bottom and not enough on top. Every time. It's a curse and an extreme lack of spatial intelligence.

I used blueberry preserves and this particular brand because it has no corn syrup. I nearly sang when I saw the ingredients.

And finally, an 8x8 pan full of the yummy bars. Plenty indeed.

This is just a recipe I've had for forever coming from one of my mom's many cookbooks.

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
3/4 cups butter
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/4 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
3/4 cup jam or preserves
1 tbsp flour

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Cream the butter by itself for a while and when it is soft add the sugar and lemon peel. Finally add the nuts and flour and mix just until crumbly.

2. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 8x8 or 9x9 glass baking dish. Spread the jam over the top. Add the remaining tablespoon of flour to the crumb mixture, just use your hands to stir and then sprinkle on top.

3. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until slightly golden on top. Wait to cool until cutting into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...