Friday, July 30, 2010

Forbidden Rice Pudding

  So my mom has made this pudding before and it's awesome but I can never find the rice and I always have to mooch off of her rice supplies. I guess the Whole Foods in Colorado Springs is bigger. This is the brand I found after thoroughly scouring the Whole Foods near me. Meanwhile I've been stocking up on cans of coconut milk like they're going out of style. Finally the planets aligned and I found a bag of the forbidden rice I had been craving so much. Yes! This pudding is really easy... When you look at it, it's basically just cooking rice but the results are so amazing. My only problem with it is how long it takes to cook on such low heat with so much water. I inevitably get tired of waiting and end up turning the heat up to medium low and then the rice ends up still a little bit nutty (can al dente apply to rice?) but I still like it this way. It makes it even further from a traditional goopy rice pudding. The rice is amazingly unique, it starts out black and then cooks into a pretty purple. It takes on sweetness really well too. The addition of the coconut is great too. I saw South Pacific last night and I feel like the islanders would totally make this. It seems very Asian and very island-friendly. On a side note, South Pacific was amazing!!! But now to the important stuff.



Like I said before, it really just looks neat, when it's cooking it makes this purple stew looking concoction. all that you cook it with is some sugar, salt and a lot of water.

And then when it finally does cook-- it takes forever, let me warn you-- just add 1 cup of coconut milk. Just to warn anybody out there who is as clumsy a cook as myself, 1 cup is not the entire contents of the can. I have accidentally done this before and the results are disastrous. Not like deadly disastrous but certainly not as good as this pudding can be.

And here is the final result. I love ramekins. love love love love. It was warm in this picture but it thickens up a bit when you refrigerate it. I can't decide what I prefer in terms of temperature, they are both good. I'm pretty sure my mom got the recipe from a Moosewood cookbook. I couldn't find this recipe online anywhere though.

Also, as I was writing this I began to realize that this is vegan! hooray for vegan desserts!
 
 Ingredients
1 cup forbidden rice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup coconut milk

1. Wash the rice in a wire strainer until the water runs clean. Be sure to pick out any pieces that you find that aren't rice. Place the washed rice with the salt, sugar and water into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Don't cover it now but be sure the saucepan has a tight fitting lid.

2. When the rice comes up to a rolling boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for at least an hour and a half but in my experience it takes much longer. If you are ok with somewhat nutty rice, feel free to increase the heat to medium low after about an hour and then cook until the water has all evaporated.

3. Take the cooked rice off the heat and fluff with a fork. Then stir in the coconut milk. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes so the pudding can thicken up. Feel free to serve this warm or chill and serve later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...